Welcome to BigCarClub!

Not logged in!

Hey there, welcome to BigCarClub!
You don't need to be logged in to view the forum but the experience will be so much better if you are! Users can login or if you don't have an account already, you can create one for free by clicking the Register link in the top right corner of this page.

Cayenne transfer box

Started by Solentview, January 27, 2023, 05:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I notice that Mirez mentions the Cayenne transfer box in one of his posts from June 22. I have a friend who is just beginning to grapple with Cayenne transmission noise and the Big Finger is pointing at the transfer box (Haldex coupling?).

Can any kind person please advise how problems with the transfer box show themselves, what the best way forward is in terms of replacement (and uprating) and if anyone has had a Cayenne box replaced recently, can they please give an order of cost (parts and labour separately, if poss.).

Many thanks.   

Just a point to note, the Cayenne isn't a Haldex system, it's a pure 4x4 system.

Depends what year and engine is in it tbh, the petrol engines are far more prone to it then the diesels and the earlier years of the Mk2 again and more likely to suffer.

Symptoms normally present as a bumpy feeling in low gears, especially when on full lock - similar to going over rumble strips.
03 Ford Galaxy 1.9 TDI 115 Ghia in Spruce Green Metallic
With cream leather interior, Full Bodykit, Remapped at 145bhp, Lowered on 18's
17 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 V6 Diesel in Slate Blue
262Bhp AWD and Factory fresh...for now!
58 Ford Transit 2.2 TDI 115 in Frozen White
With retrofitted everything except another slidey door! :)
LAUNCH X431 Pad PRO - Scanning & Coding for all makes and models done in Wiltshire in exchange for winegums! :)

Excellent advice as always.

I asked an online robot this question and it said:

Problems with the transfer box of a Porsche Cayenne can manifest in a variety of ways, including difficulty shifting gears, a grinding or clicking noise when attempting to shift, and leakage of transmission fluid.

If the transfer box is found to be faulty, replacement is typically the best course of action. It is also possible to upgrade the transfer box for improved performance, but this should only be done by a qualified Porsche technician.

The cost of replacing the transfer box on a Porsche Cayenne will vary depending on the specific year and model of the vehicle, as well as the location where the repair is being performed. On average, the cost for parts and labor can range from $4,000 to $8,000. It is best to consult with a Porsche dealership or a specialized independent mechanic for a more accurate estimate.
I drive a Seat Alhambra 1.9Tdi which has 115bhp and an automatic gearbox.

I am happy to help you with all your questions. I am not a qualified mechanic but seem to be better at fixing my car than even the most experienced garages.

I have lots of friends here and very much enjoy talking with you all. Always remember, a motor car is a serious tool and should be treated with respect. Put your safety first, always.

January 27, 2023, 11:30:10 PM #3 Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 08:26:55 AM by Mirez
The problem with those kind of bots is they are only as good as the person who programmed them. 99% of the time, that person has zero knowledge of the problem and cobbles together Google results.

Basically we are making the world dummer for the sake of a quick buck. 😞

Problems with the transfer box of a Porsche Cayenne can manifest in a variety of ways, including difficulty shifting gears, a grinding or clicking noise when attempting to shift, and leakage of transmission fluid.

Wrong. The transfer box on the 958 has never been seen to loose fluid. They are 99% automatic cars and 'shifting' has never been described as an issue, only jolting at low speeds.

If the transfer box is found to be faulty, replacement is typically the best course of action. It is also possible to upgrade the transfer box for improved performance, but this should only be done by a qualified Porsche technician.

The best action is to replace the fluid. The box takes water in from the breather (revised several times) and dilutes the oil. Replacement of the oil frequently fixes it without the unnecessary need for massive cost outlay if its not been left. Additionally, there is no 'upgrade' available for the transfer box. There isn't any aftermarket parts available either.

The cost of replacing the transfer box on a Porsche Cayenne will vary depending on the specific year and model of the vehicle, as well as the location where the repair is being performed. On average, the cost for parts and labor can range from $4,000 to $8,000. It is best to consult with a Porsche dealership or a specialized independent mechanic for a more accurate estimate.

And there you go, two seconds ago it has to he a Porsche tech. and now it can be an indy. They also fail to mention that Porsche extended the warranty on the transfer case (to give it its correct name) so if the car's under ten years old the first port of call should be the dealer to see if its covered

In a nutshell I'd urge you not to post 'advice' from these. It's nearly always wildly inaccurate, non specific garbage from bots designed to draw you to their page of advertising links.
03 Ford Galaxy 1.9 TDI 115 Ghia in Spruce Green Metallic
With cream leather interior, Full Bodykit, Remapped at 145bhp, Lowered on 18's
17 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 V6 Diesel in Slate Blue
262Bhp AWD and Factory fresh...for now!
58 Ford Transit 2.2 TDI 115 in Frozen White
With retrofitted everything except another slidey door! :)
LAUNCH X431 Pad PRO - Scanning & Coding for all makes and models done in Wiltshire in exchange for winegums! :)

Agreed, it all sounded a bit too generic anyway... basically just saying "take it to a garage" rather than being detailed about the answer. As you say, I think these robots just compile answers from what they find in the internet. You can't beat good old fashioned hands-on experience for tricky problems!

I am happy to help you with all your questions. I am not a qualified mechanic but seem to be better at fixing my car than even the most experienced garages.

I have lots of friends here and very much enjoy talking with you all. Always remember, a motor car is a serious tool and should be treated with respect. Put your safety first, always.

Many thanks for the responses. Our friend's Cayenne has to exit a basement garage using a steep ramp with tight turns, and the transmission is presenting symptoms pretty much exactly as Mirez describes. 

The Cayenne sounds like a very luxurious vehicle