Welcome to BigCarClub!

Not logged in!

Hey there, welcome to BigCarClub!
You don't need to be logged in to view the forum but the experience will be so much better if you are! Users can login or if you don't have an account already, you can create one for free by clicking the Register link in the top right corner of this page.

Advert:

Removing paint overspray

Started by Mirez, January 01, 2023, 10:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ok Idiot moment ahead :)

So I sprayed a bumper a couple of days ago and, since it was raining I did it in the garage next to the Galaxy. I set a fan up to keep the air clear but stupidly, I didn't think about where it was pointing and today I've discovered I have white speckles all over the front of the Galaxy :(

I had a little play with a clay bar but it didn't pick much off so I'm now sure what next to try - I'm guessing a cutting compound on a buffer but any other suggestions before I give it a go?
03 Ford Galaxy 1.9 TDI 115 Ghia in Spruce Green Metallic
With cream leather interior, Full Bodykit, Remapped at 145bhp, Lowered on 18's
17 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 V6 Diesel in Slate Blue
262Bhp AWD and Factory fresh...for now!
58 Ford Transit 2.2 TDI 115 in Frozen White
With retrofitted everything except another slidey door! :)
LAUNCH X431 Pad PRO - Scanning & Coding for all makes and models done in Wiltshire in exchange for winegums! :)

As it's fairly fresh it won't have fully hardened, some of that panel wipe in an aerosol that halfrauds sell will probably lift that off. Or some loctite super clean spray. Then mop the panel with some G3 to finish it off.

Also could you try a little T-Cut? The old T-Cut which comes in a metal tin works the best (the newer stuff in the plastic bottles is watered down a bit). If your motor car was nicely waxed then possibly it won't be too tough to remove?

:googluck:  :driving:
I drive a Seat Alhambra 1.9Tdi which has 115bhp and an automatic gearbox.

I am happy to help you with all your questions. I am not a qualified mechanic but seem to be better at fixing my car than even the most experienced garages.

I have lots of friends here and very much enjoy talking with you all. Always remember, a motor car is a serious tool and should be treated with respect. Put your safety first, always.

Thanks both. Had a go today with the panel wipe but it didn't really touch it but a cutting compound did the trick for the most part.

Used carb cleaner on the windscreen and headlights which, predictably, took it off those.

For whatever reason the bumper is where the compounds not doing it so I'm going to need something between compound and carb cleaner which isn't going to strip the lacquer... or I guess I'll ironically be paining another bumper lol
LAUNCH X431 Pad PRO - Scanning & Coding for all makes and models done in Wiltshire in exchange for winegums! :)

Personally, use gun/paint thinners, then clean/wax/polish the bumper afterwards.

Thanks mate, it's on tomorrow's hit list so hopefully will do the job

Fingers crossed it all went well and is back in showroom condition!

Just to check, is it OK to use paint thinners on a motor car to rub stuff off? Or does it burn through the varnish? I'm assuming white spirit isn't ideal because it could take off the varnish too? But better than leaving overspray there and might not do too much harm if it's a quick wipe down? I once used brake cleaner to remove gum from my Alhamb's paintwork and it did no harm to it at all.
I drive a Seat Alhambra 1.9Tdi which has 115bhp and an automatic gearbox.

I am happy to help you with all your questions. I am not a qualified mechanic but seem to be better at fixing my car than even the most experienced garages.

I have lots of friends here and very much enjoy talking with you all. Always remember, a motor car is a serious tool and should be treated with respect. Put your safety first, always.

I've used white spirit to remove glue (from a signwritten van) without problems, I would guess to some degree it depends on the age of the paint though and how long you leave it on there.

I used a cutting compound and machine polisher which finished the job off so yeah, back to normal!