Welcome to BigCarClub!

Not logged in!

Hey there, welcome to BigCarClub!
You don't need to be logged in to view the forum but the experience will be so much better if you are! Users can login or if you don't have an account already, you can create one for free by clicking the Register link in the top right corner of this page.

Advert:

Where to buy oil?

Started by Alhambra King, June 23, 2022, 11:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey all, long time eurocarparts buyer but with oil creeping up and up in price they aren't very competitive anymore. Has anyone had experience with Mannol oil? Currently £25 for 5 liters on Amazon and its AC3 rated for DPF.

I usually get the Triple QX stuff from euros with a coupon
I drive a Seat Alhambra 1.9Tdi which has 115bhp and an automatic gearbox.

I am happy to help you with all your questions. I am not a qualified mechanic but seem to be better at fixing my car than even the most experienced garages.

I have lots of friends here and very much enjoy talking with you all. Always remember, a motor car is a serious tool and should be treated with respect. Put your safety first, always.

That's the problem the OP is highlighting though, The QXL stuff is nearly £40 now even with the codes.

I've not used Mannol myself but I think they are a German company known for agricultural lubricants.
03 Ford Galaxy 1.9 TDI 115 Ghia in Spruce Green Metallic
With cream leather interior, Full Bodykit, Remapped at 145bhp, Lowered on 18's
17 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 V6 Diesel in Slate Blue
262Bhp AWD and Factory fresh...for now!
58 Ford Transit 2.2 TDI 115 in Frozen White
With retrofitted everything except another slidey door! :)
LAUNCH X431 Pad PRO - Scanning & Coding for all makes and models done in Wiltshire in exchange for winegums! :)

I have used mannol without issue several times but I do replace oil at about 8-10k miles.
Sure they are approved by vw rather than meets vw spec aswell for their PD version which suggests to me the product must be good enough?

Hello my lovelies, I just checked the Euros website and it's £32.99 for 5L of the triple QX stuff.  https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/triple-qx-5w-40-pd-engine-oil-5ltr-521776081

That's with the discounts naturally.

Although maybe the newer Alhambs take a different oil.

You just can't go wrong with a well known brand like Euros own make. I'd steer clear of dodgy names you've near heard of before.

So not too bad really in this day and age?

I change my oil every 6,000 miles on the dot.

I am happy to help you with all your questions. I am not a qualified mechanic but seem to be better at fixing my car than even the most experienced garages.

I have lots of friends here and very much enjoy talking with you all. Always remember, a motor car is a serious tool and should be treated with respect. Put your safety first, always.

Its possible to buy from the likes of https://www.smithandallan.com/ and can work out cheaper if you are willing to buy larger quantities (20l for example).

Newer Alhambaras with a DPF would need a low SAPS oil, so likely different to the earlier ones.

I've not had any problems with Mannol oils, I don't personally like the Triple QX ones as I've had a couple of leaky bottles of them in the past and find the tops annoying to open as well. That said, I've only used some Mannol ones, so can't report what they are like on extended use.

Hello, all you discerning purchasers of oil.

Is this Amazon oil any good please?

Amazon Basics Motor Engine Oil 5W-40 TypPD, 5 L https://amzn.eu/d/5caAe1a

I have used Mannol 7715 (5w-30/C3/VW 507) in our Alhambra/BRT for several years now, but it only stays in for 6 or 7 months. It seems to be perfectly adequate, and the engine is using no oil between changes, at 122k miles.

Based on the price and having read a bit more, I think I'll also give it a go next time a service is due.

It's interesting how the Americans routinely send their old oil away for analysis which highlights wear and any underlaying condition on the engine. With the onset of electric is probably won't become a thing over here, but its a shame as it seems a great way to track engine condition.
03 Ford Galaxy 1.9 TDI 115 Ghia in Spruce Green Metallic
With cream leather interior, Full Bodykit, Remapped at 145bhp, Lowered on 18's
17 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 V6 Diesel in Slate Blue
262Bhp AWD and Factory fresh...for now!
58 Ford Transit 2.2 TDI 115 in Frozen White
With retrofitted everything except another slidey door! :)
LAUNCH X431 Pad PRO - Scanning & Coding for all makes and models done in Wiltshire in exchange for winegums! :)

I sent some gearbox and diff oil away for analysis as I had a driveline whine, oil looked ok for 100k oil but when I got results back it showed the diff bearings were kaput.
Swapped diff out and noise was gone well worth the £40odd to get them tested and confirm which was noisy.

What do you guys do with all your used oil?

There's an old timer down the road from me who says it makes a great fence preservative. But is this safe?

I wonder what else old oil could be used for.

Stick it in the oil bank at the local tip!

Its not really useful for much - yes some folk will stick it on where you might have used creosote etc, but you shouldn't really be leaving it anywhere it can get into watercourses etc, so you can't really say its safe. Others use it for rust treatment though its a very messy way to do it.

My neighbour had 10 litres of extremely black oil I drained from a couple of beemer diesels for his fences. He painted it on, he reckons it's far better than the old style creosote. It's not my thing mind the mrs done ours with some green ducksback instead.

I dump it in the recycling drum down the tip

We occasionally use APD for oil, although I'm not sure how competitive they are compare to places you can get it in bulk.

They have quite a big selection though so might be worth having a look: https://www.apd.co.uk/car-parts/engine-oil-2

Thank you, Tilly, I will take a look.

Thank you also for bringing to my attention this APD company. Are they quite good then? It looks like they are an alternative to European Car Parts. How do their prices and service compare generally? I once used CarParts4Less but now I pay a few pence extra and use Euros because they messed up a few orders. APD looks very interesting.

Carparts4less are Euro Car Parts trading under another name.

I've been using the Mannol oil (different spec to the above as its the Petrol in my case) without issue so far, I've been using it on a few cars sourced from eBay - usually Carouselcarparts. Only issue I've had with them is they use Evri who have managed to damage a couple of the orders by dropping them.