Welcome to BigCarClub!

Not logged in!

Hey there, welcome to BigCarClub!
You don't need to be logged in to view the forum but the experience will be so much better if you are! Users can login or if you don't have an account already, you can create one for free by clicking the Register link in the top right corner of this page.

Advert:

Recommendations for a bigger motor car

Started by SirDavidAlhambra, March 29, 2022, 01:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello everyone! I won't be ditching my Alhamb but need to get a second motor car which is a bit bigger.

What would you recommend?

My criteria are as follows:
  • Budget of up to £10K
  • Has to hold 6 big adults comfortably (yeah, proper big fatsos)
  • Ideally can carry 8 adults
  • Not prone to rusting (I'm looking at you, Mercedes-Benz and Ford, yes I know your sort)
  • Good spacious boot
  • Reasonable insurance
  • Reasonably priced parts and inexpensive to maintain and repair
  • Reasonable fuel economy (I'm looking at you, 3.5L petrol Viano japanese imports)
  • No sky high mileage (yes, that includes you, airport taxis with 300K on the clock)
  • No dodgy imports (what do you mean the radio doesn't work on my jap import and the indicator stalk is on the wrong side!)
  • Reliable
  • Ideally some creature comforts such as heated front window, heated seats, decent radio, parking aids etc.

Thank you very much!
I drive a Seat Alhambra 1.9Tdi which has 115bhp and an automatic gearbox.

I am happy to help you with all your questions. I am not a qualified mechanic but seem to be better at fixing my car than even the most experienced garages.

I have lots of friends here and very much enjoy talking with you all. Always remember, a motor car is a serious tool and should be treated with respect. Put your safety first, always.

Your going to struggle to find anything other than a minibus to seat 8 adults, particually if that isn't including the driver. If your looking on a budget the japanese import option might be your best bet, most can have the radio swapped out so it will work, you'd just have to get used to the indicator stalk being on the other side (or swap it for a uk spec one maybe if you think thats really an issue?).

My brother has a Japanese import Mercedees van of some sort (might be a Viano, I'm not sure) and seems happy with it, he was in the process of getting the radio swapped over when I saw him last for some all singing and dancing one with camera hookup to solve the lack of fm issue (which is that Japan uses a different band of the freqency to us, so it ends around 88mhz where we start). Hes got that to replace the company car he had upto that point, so he has gone from a BMW X3 to that.

If your looking for reasonable insurance, identify what vehicles could suit your needs and then start looking at what insurance group they fall into. Though a lot of insurance cost depends on your circumstances (type of use of vehicle, job, mileage, where you live, etc etc).

Personally I think you will have to compromise on a couple of points of the above depending what you can find.

Thank you, yes I think you are right that I may need to compromise... it's so tricky looking at new types of motor cars, they all seem so different and half the problem these days is that viewing second hand cars is near impossible because garages don't like doing viewings
I drive a Seat Alhambra 1.9Tdi which has 115bhp and an automatic gearbox.

I am happy to help you with all your questions. I am not a qualified mechanic but seem to be better at fixing my car than even the most experienced garages.

I have lots of friends here and very much enjoy talking with you all. Always remember, a motor car is a serious tool and should be treated with respect. Put your safety first, always.