Welcome to BigCarClub!

Not logged in!

Hey there, welcome to BigCarClub!
You don't need to be logged in to view the forum but the experience will be so much better if you are! Users can login or if you don't have an account already, you can create one for free by clicking the Register link in the top right corner of this page.

Advert:

Anyone used PSH starter motors?

Started by Mirez, March 15, 2022, 11:52:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Need to replace the starter on the Cayenne as it's becoming increasingly lazy when hot. There is only a choice of two for my engine with SS and its PSH at £95 or Denso at £270. Spec wise they are near identical, the Denso provides 200W more but I don't see that as justification for the extra money. Also PSH don't want the old one back and therefore there isn't a £139 surcharge either!!

My only problem, I've never heard of PSH!
03 Ford Galaxy 1.9 TDI 115 Ghia in Spruce Green Metallic
With cream leather interior, Full Bodykit, Remapped at 145bhp, Lowered on 18's
17 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 V6 Diesel in Slate Blue
262Bhp AWD and Factory fresh...for now!
58 Ford Transit 2.2 TDI 115 in Frozen White
With retrofitted everything except another slidey door! :)
LAUNCH X431 Pad PRO - Scanning & Coding for all makes and models done in Wiltshire in exchange for winegums! :)

Yes. I had a PSH once. And the darned battery light kept coming on every time I had all the electrics on. I suspect the other one costs more for a reason...
I drive a Seat Alhambra 1.9Tdi which has 115bhp and an automatic gearbox.

I am happy to help you with all your questions. I am not a qualified mechanic but seem to be better at fixing my car than even the most experienced garages.

I have lots of friends here and very much enjoy talking with you all. Always remember, a motor car is a serious tool and should be treated with respect. Put your safety first, always.

That said, £300 is a big saving...

I am happy to help you with all your questions. I am not a qualified mechanic but seem to be better at fixing my car than even the most experienced garages.

I have lots of friends here and very much enjoy talking with you all. Always remember, a motor car is a serious tool and should be treated with respect. Put your safety first, always.

March 15, 2022, 04:40:19 PM #3 Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 05:06:01 PM by Mirez
Thanks! I'm loathed to spend the extra money but equally its one of the hardest jobs you can do on the 3.0 so I don't want to be doing it twice! I suspect I could take the old one out and clean it up as its fine when cold but again, so much has to come out to access the bugger I'm inclined to just replace it!

The official way to change the starter on this engine (same as the Q7 and Touareg) is to drop the engine.... WTF! Madeness.
03 Ford Galaxy 1.9 TDI 115 Ghia in Spruce Green Metallic
With cream leather interior, Full Bodykit, Remapped at 145bhp, Lowered on 18's
17 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 V6 Diesel in Slate Blue
262Bhp AWD and Factory fresh...for now!
58 Ford Transit 2.2 TDI 115 in Frozen White
With retrofitted everything except another slidey door! :)
LAUNCH X431 Pad PRO - Scanning & Coding for all makes and models done in Wiltshire in exchange for winegums! :)

If it's a tough job, then economising on the parts could be a false economy... may be better just to fork out the extra for a top quality component and then rest easy knowing that you'll only be doing the job once... :)

Looking at their website it looks like they offer rebuilt units and new ones. Unusual that no surcharge is applied though that being the case.
https://psh.nl/products/starters-alternators/
Can't say as I've ever heard of them, but then also do people say much when something just works as it should - usually not, the fuss comes when something doesn't work (or does, but not for long).

RTX ones have a bad reputation, but were cheap at the time they were available. That said, I had an RTX starter and didn't have problems with it in the time it was on the car.