Welcome to BigCarClub!

Not logged in!

Hey there, welcome to BigCarClub!
You don't need to be logged in to view the forum but the experience will be so much better if you are! Users can login or if you don't have an account already, you can create one for free by clicking the Register link in the top right corner of this page.

Advert:

Macpherson strut

Started by FANOFDOD, January 11, 2022, 04:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Does any one know if the drivers side front strut is oil filled or gas filled  [NE1]

Might depend on if its original or been replaced already. You will probabbly have to look at the strut to tell for sure. Some Aftermarkets are oil, some are gas filled (most I think).

Quote from: brianh on January 11, 2022, 10:02:13 PM
Might depend on if its original or been replaced already. You will probabbly have to look at the strut to tell for sure. Some Aftermarkets are oil, some are gas filled (most I think).
The struts have never been changed (2007 model), so I'm not sure if mine are gas or oil filled as there is no sign of oil leak although I get a 'squecky' sound if I brake hard (testing) at low speed. 
I suspected the strut but my garage checked and stated the driver's side anti roll bar bush was perished and changed both sides.  I drove towards home (about 8 miles) and all seemed quiet until about a mile from home and the noise started again so I have booked the car in again!
Any thoughts what else it might be? :-\ :-\

Can you elaborate on the noise?

Most cars will make a noise during heavy brake testing as the weight transfers to the front. How audible is it?
03 Ford Galaxy 1.9 TDI 115 Ghia in Spruce Green Metallic
With cream leather interior, Full Bodykit, Remapped at 145bhp, Lowered on 18's
17 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 V6 Diesel in Slate Blue
262Bhp AWD and Factory fresh...for now!
58 Ford Transit 2.2 TDI 115 in Frozen White
With retrofitted everything except another slidey door! :)
LAUNCH X431 Pad PRO - Scanning & Coding for all makes and models done in Wiltshire in exchange for winegums! :)

Quote from: Mirez on January 12, 2022, 10:53:48 AM
Can you elaborate on the noise?

Most cars will make a noise during heavy brake testing as the weight transfers to the front. How audible is it?

It is difficult to say how loud is the noise, all I can say is that I can readily hear it and it seems to be on the drivers side, that is why I initially thought it was the strut.

If it is the strut a spray of wd40 or GT85 or similar product onto the shaft might shut it up for a while, it would at least help you narrow it down somewhat. You'd need to get it on the metal shaft itself under the rubber boot.

The garage could hear the noise by pushing down on the drivers side wing but didn't feel it was the strut.  They have now replaced both anti roll bar links and the noise has gone, let's hope it stays like that.  At least the strut seems to be OK. :D