Welcome to BigCarClub!

Not logged in!

Hey there, welcome to BigCarClub!
You don't need to be logged in to view the forum but the experience will be so much better if you are! Users can login or if you don't have an account already, you can create one for free by clicking the Register link in the top right corner of this page.

Advert:

Lost cloth in the air intake

Started by Brash, January 02, 2022, 08:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Help!
Trying to charge the battery today with the airbox off and a strong tissue like cloth down the air intake. You've guessed it , turned the engine over and as it fired up I remembered about the cloth so stopped the engine immediately. The rags gone and tried vacuuming it out with a small long hose with no joy.
I was thinking of jacking the car up with the undertray off and disconnecting the other end of the air intake which looks like the turbo?
Anyone any ideas please?
It's a 2014 2litre diesel Tdci

Oops! Easily done though!

Yes next in line after the airbox will be the input side of the turbo and then the intercooler. Certainly not a bad shout to disconnect the other end and take a look, it can be a bit of pain to undo those bolts though so although you'll likely have to take them off anyway, I'd probably be more inclined to start with the intercooler as uncoupling those hoses will be much easier and there will be a light coating of oil in there which will have snagged any shredded matter so you'll know if its gone through the turbo or not. After the intercooler is the EGR valve where is could also be stuck, or at least bits of it might be.

Tissue like cloth isn't the end of the world though, the turbo will likely shred it and the engine should burn what's left if it ever gets that far so whilst its far from ideal it could be worse like a j-cloth or microfiber one.

Exhaust all possibilities of finding it though, anything going through inlet vales other then air isn't ideal however I suspect if you don't find it clogging the turbo up, you won't find it at all.
03 Ford Galaxy 1.9 TDI 115 Ghia in Spruce Green Metallic
With cream leather interior, Full Bodykit, Remapped at 145bhp, Lowered on 18's
17 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 V6 Diesel in Slate Blue
262Bhp AWD and Factory fresh...for now!
58 Ford Transit 2.2 TDI 115 in Frozen White
With retrofitted everything except another slidey door! :)
LAUNCH X431 Pad PRO - Scanning & Coding for all makes and models done in Wiltshire in exchange for winegums! :)

That's brilliant thanks, I'll post on here with the results when I've had a go this week

Phew, managed to retrieve it in the inlet side of the turbo pipe. Nothing gone through to the intercooler and no damage apart to ones pride. ;D
Thanks Mirez for the help and support.

Ahh great stuff, you certainly aren't the first or the last to have done that :)

:)
03 Ford Galaxy 1.9 TDI 115 Ghia in Spruce Green Metallic
With cream leather interior, Full Bodykit, Remapped at 145bhp, Lowered on 18's
17 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 V6 Diesel in Slate Blue
262Bhp AWD and Factory fresh...for now!
58 Ford Transit 2.2 TDI 115 in Frozen White
With retrofitted everything except another slidey door! :)
LAUNCH X431 Pad PRO - Scanning & Coding for all makes and models done in Wiltshire in exchange for winegums! :)

I lost a disposable glove down the inlet of my mk2 galaxy, took a while to get it out of the front of the turbo.... I won't do it twice.