Welcome to BigCarClub!

Not logged in!

Hey there, welcome to BigCarClub!
You don't need to be logged in to view the forum but the experience will be so much better if you are! Users can login or if you don't have an account already, you can create one for free by clicking the Register link in the top right corner of this page.

Advert:

Overtightened oil filter

Started by SirDavidAlhambra, December 21, 2021, 07:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi guys, I over tightened the metal oil filter can on my Ford Focus and it's really really tight, I had a moment of madness where I forgot they should only be hand tight plus half a turn and instead I put the thing in there real tight with a socket wrench.

Any advice about what I should do? I tried turning it back quarter of a turn but naturally couldn't budge it a millimetre.

Thank you all.
I drive a Seat Alhambra 1.9Tdi which has 115bhp and an automatic gearbox.

I am happy to help you with all your questions. I am not a qualified mechanic but seem to be better at fixing my car than even the most experienced garages.

I have lots of friends here and very much enjoy talking with you all. Always remember, a motor car is a serious tool and should be treated with respect. Put your safety first, always.

Get a filter strap on it to undo it

I've tried using one of those metal caps you put over it and then putting all the force I can muster behind a foot long socket wrench with a half inch driver, and still can't get the thing to budge even half a degree... not sure what one does next in these circumstances

I am happy to help you with all your questions. I am not a qualified mechanic but seem to be better at fixing my car than even the most experienced garages.

I have lots of friends here and very much enjoy talking with you all. Always remember, a motor car is a serious tool and should be treated with respect. Put your safety first, always.

Did you hang off it to tighten it up as it's so tight to remove?

I can't see how you could have done it up that tight - you should only use hand tighening to reinstall it.#

Did you put any oil on the new seal when you installed it?

i can usually get them off with something like this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Filter-Wrench-Removal-Universal-Adjustable/dp/B0756XJRT2
Or this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/CNWOOAIVE-Adjustable-Filter-Wrench-Removal/dp/B08F578H8W

Might be a stupid question, but you are definitely trying to turn it the right way aren't you?

Only other thing I can suggest is get the car to a point where you can get at the filter (You don't mention if its petrol or diesel or the year, so no idea what access is like) and run the engine to warm it up and try again. Obviously make sure you put oil back into it if you've already drained the oil before running it.

It was a crazy moment of madness - I was a bit stressed when I did the oil change and must have had a total loss of memory and capability as I did it because I know it should only be done up hand right (and then maybe an extra quarter turn) but actually I used one of those removal tools to do it up the other way.

Specifically, I used one of these things:

2Pcs Oil Filter Wrench 74mm 14 Flute Oil Filter Wrench Socket Removal Tool Oil Filter Removal Socket for BMW Audi Santana or Other Similar Types Car (903) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B097RBRPP6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_V75HYJG1JWNX78RZQ0EX?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And I did it up nice and tight with the socket set. Like, proper tight.

Madness I know, what on earth was I thinking/doing. No excuse but one of my friends is in hospital with covid (not looking good for him) and I was/am really worried as he's a good close friend and I suppose I must have taken leave of my senses momentarily.

I did put oil on the seal before I fitted it.

It's a petrol car and the filter is down by the sump. Tricky to access without a ramp but not impossible. Access will be much easier with a ramp, maybe that will help in due course.

Should I just leave it alone until the next oil change and get the garage to do it, or should I try and sort it now somehow?

What a palaver.

In theory if you tightened with the filter tool you should be able to loosen with filter tool. Personally I would leave it until next oil and filter change if it was me.

I don't see you have much option besides leaving it until you can get it onto a ramp to do it. Access to the ones up the back of the engine like that can be restricted, and you don't want to risk damaging it without having it somewhere you can be fairly sure it will get fixed at - Access off a ramp/lift should help there as at least you could get some decent leverage onto it then.

Thank you both, yes I had another go at trying to loosen it the other day and almost broke my wrist when the grip on it slipped and I twisted my hand around suddenly with maximum force, so I think you are right - the best course of action will be to put a note in my calendar and take it to the garage next time it needs an oil change. At least they have a ramp and can try and get a proper angle on it... easier than trying to do it while lying upside down under the front of the car on the driveway.

What do people do when the thing really is wedged on like someone's put loctite on the seals and then gotten Geoff Capes to tighten it up using a 2 metre breaker bar? Do they use an impact wrench on it with a removal tool or something like that? Or weld a 2m metal rod onto it and twist that? Or simply rip the thing off strip by strip using a combination of angle grinders and tin cutters? I imagine it can't be an uncommon experience.

Depending on the type of filter, either a chain wrench or go the old fashioned way and hammer a screwdriver through it!
03 Ford Galaxy 1.9 TDI 115 Ghia in Spruce Green Metallic
With cream leather interior, Full Bodykit, Remapped at 145bhp, Lowered on 18's
17 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 V6 Diesel in Slate Blue
262Bhp AWD and Factory fresh...for now!
58 Ford Transit 2.2 TDI 115 in Frozen White
With retrofitted everything except another slidey door! :)
LAUNCH X431 Pad PRO - Scanning & Coding for all makes and models done in Wiltshire in exchange for winegums! :)

Your committed to getting it off if its gone as far as the hammer/screwdriver combination, though at least that can't slip.

I've generally found the tripod type clamping tool works, sometimes to the point of crushing the filter but its coming off at that point so doesn't really matter.

The pliers I posted can help (particually if access to the end isn't possible), though I rarely find they are too tight provided you use a decent filter and oil the seals when installing them.

On the old canister filters I typically use my big pipe grips to remove them,they have served me well since I was an apprentice and never failed to remove one.