Welcome to BigCarClub!

Not logged in!

Hey there, welcome to BigCarClub!
You don't need to be logged in to view the forum but the experience will be so much better if you are! Users can login or if you don't have an account already, you can create one for free by clicking the Register link in the top right corner of this page.

Advert:

Grinding noise from rear brake

Started by Gazza71, November 27, 2021, 09:11:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hey boys n girls.

My gal has started making a noise from the rear brakes for about 10 seconds after the electric handbrakes been on. I dont notice any noises at any other time and it stops fine but if I apply the park brake then turn it off, when I set off it will make a clacking noise that slowly gets quieter. no warning messages and everything works.

Is the parking brake on these the rear pads or has it got a separete shoe for the brake?

I think it's done via the pads not sure if there's a motor with cables or if it's like the bmw set up where each caliper has a motor. Either was sounds like you have got a sticky mechanism. Best to get wheels off and have a check of calipers And mechanism

Thanks Johnny. I took it to a local garage in the end who stripped it down and said the pad had cracked. They didn't know why but its all fixed now with new discs and pads. Thanks again.

How on earth does a pad crack
I drive a Seat Alhambra 1.9Tdi which has 115bhp and an automatic gearbox.

I am happy to help you with all your questions. I am not a qualified mechanic but seem to be better at fixing my car than even the most experienced garages.

I have lots of friends here and very much enjoy talking with you all. Always remember, a motor car is a serious tool and should be treated with respect. Put your safety first, always.

Normally its when the pad wears down so there isn't much material left, then heavy or prolonged breaking causes excess heat. This can allow the pad material to unglue itself from the backing pad which can then crack when the brakes are applied. Can also be cheap-o pads but either way its not that uncommon.
03 Ford Galaxy 1.9 TDI 115 Ghia in Spruce Green Metallic
With cream leather interior, Full Bodykit, Remapped at 145bhp, Lowered on 18's
17 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 V6 Diesel in Slate Blue
262Bhp AWD and Factory fresh...for now!
58 Ford Transit 2.2 TDI 115 in Frozen White
With retrofitted everything except another slidey door! :)
LAUNCH X431 Pad PRO - Scanning & Coding for all makes and models done in Wiltshire in exchange for winegums! :)

Had some pagid a few months back where lining came off backing plate and cracked/fell apart. Caused by excessive heat from handbrake sticking on slightly. (Funnily enough your neighbours car Mirez)

lol, we really should get together for a pint some time!
LAUNCH X431 Pad PRO - Scanning & Coding for all makes and models done in Wiltshire in exchange for winegums! :)

Yes we should get this Christmas and new year nonsense out the way then we can sort something. Although I can't drink for sh1t since having covid

Would be so lovely to have a summer bbq with everyone bringing their Alhambs/Galaxy, make new friends, meet existing ones, look at the cars and share tips and so on hehe  8-)

I am happy to help you with all your questions. I am not a qualified mechanic but seem to be better at fixing my car than even the most experienced garages.

I have lots of friends here and very much enjoy talking with you all. Always remember, a motor car is a serious tool and should be treated with respect. Put your safety first, always.

@JR, yeah deffo up for that mate.

@SDA, the problem is finding a suitable location where we don't all have to drive for hours to get there. Can certainly give it some thought though!

Thank you, didn't want to impose but I must be among many who feel like I have some really good friends here (nice kind people with common interests) and who knows maybe one day those friendships may results in a Ford MPV Alhamb and Galaxy Show or something like that hehe

The true value of this forum is not just the excellent technology or the deep knowledge, but the lovely kind people who make everyone feel welcomed and supported with their motor cars and sometimes other things too.

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

:) :) :)  Here's to all of you!!! :) :) :)

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)