Welcome to BigCarClub!

Not logged in!

Hey there, welcome to BigCarClub!
You don't need to be logged in to view the forum but the experience will be so much better if you are! Users can login or if you don't have an account already, you can create one for free by clicking the Register link in the top right corner of this page.

Advert:

Front end rattle

Started by benali, August 07, 2021, 09:12:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

My 2009 gal has got a rattle when driving over rough road surfaces.
Over a lot of continuous bumpy surfaces it give out a rattle from the front drivers driveshaft area.
I had it looked at and mechanic spotted a lot of lateral play in the driveshaft, so thought it was that.
So, had new drivers side driveshaft fitted.
But the new one also has quite a bit of later play and the rattling noise is still there.
How much lateral play is normally on this driveshaft?
He's now suggesting it may be the top strut mount. Is this likely?
Cheers.

August 07, 2021, 10:44:32 AM #1 Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 10:47:02 AM by SirDavidAlhambra
Driveshafts don?t rattle, they clunk.

Strut mounts don?t rattle, they creak and groan like a pirate ship on a stormy night.

Depending on the exact nature of the rattle, I?d say check your drop link ball joints sir.

And tell your mechanic to be scientific and thoughtful in his approach rather than just changing random $**t until it works! Such an approach is reserved for matters of the turbocharger only. lol
I drive a Seat Alhambra 1.9Tdi which has 115bhp and an automatic gearbox.

I am happy to help you with all your questions. I am not a qualified mechanic but seem to be better at fixing my car than even the most experienced garages.

I have lots of friends here and very much enjoy talking with you all. Always remember, a motor car is a serious tool and should be treated with respect. Put your safety first, always.

Well it is a clunky sort of rattle.
He showed me the driveshaft and the lateral play did seem a bit excessive tbf. But as I said still quite a bit with the new one.
All drop links have been checked.
It occurs mainly at slowish speeds when there are a lot of rapid changes in direction of the shocker.

Clunky sort of rattle at low speeds on a bumpy road really does sound even more like drop link ball joints. I may well be wrong but could you get a second opinion on it from another garage?

Others on here are more experienced than me and may be able to help further, hopefully

:)
I drive a Seat Alhambra 1.9Tdi which has 115bhp and an automatic gearbox.

I am happy to help you with all your questions. I am not a qualified mechanic but seem to be better at fixing my car than even the most experienced garages.

I have lots of friends here and very much enjoy talking with you all. Always remember, a motor car is a serious tool and should be treated with respect. Put your safety first, always.