Welcome to BigCarClub!

Not logged in!

Hey there, welcome to BigCarClub!
You don't need to be logged in to view the forum but the experience will be so much better if you are! Users can login or if you don't have an account already, you can create one for free by clicking the Register link in the top right corner of this page.

Advert:

Ford Galaxy / VW Sharan on countryside roads

Started by Stepukas, May 04, 2021, 01:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello.

I am considering buying fullsize MPV in the future and these two models (Galaxy and Sharan) seems the most fit all round big family vehicles. Have read a lot of reviews, watched videos etc. and one question still bothers me. And that is how these cars are on countryside/forest roads? Is there a big difference between the two if any? How is the ground clearance when loaded? I know, that formally VW has better clearance, but does that make any real advantage especially if loaded? I am not going to go on such roads often, but for occasional family trips.

Note: i'm mostly looking at ~2015 y. models.

Mine is a 2006 model and itââ,¬â,,¢s like a monster truck in fields. My wife always drives straight over huge potholes and it never seems to matter. Also really shaky roads are fine, u just have to watch the undulating dips if I hit them real fast and have a fully loaded car but tbh thatââ,¬â,,¢s the same on all cars anyway.

The Alhamb: The finest modern motor vehicle money can buy.
I drive a Seat Alhambra 1.9Tdi which has 115bhp and an automatic gearbox.

I am happy to help you with all your questions. I am not a qualified mechanic but seem to be better at fixing my car than even the most experienced garages.

I have lots of friends here and very much enjoy talking with you all. Always remember, a motor car is a serious tool and should be treated with respect. Put your safety first, always.

Quote from: SirDavidAlhambra on May 04, 2021, 06:25:32 PM
Mine is a 2006 model and itââ,¬â,,¢s like a monster truck in fields. My wife always drives straight over huge potholes and it never seems to matter. Also really shaky roads are fine, u just have to watch the undulating dips if I hit them real fast and have a fully loaded car but tbh thatââ,¬â,,¢s the same on all cars anyway.

The Alhamb: The finest modern motor vehicle money can buy.

Thank you very much. I wonder if it is the same with the new generation Galaxy?

The newer generation are (I find) quite a bit harder ride, the emphasis moved towards a more sporty drive rather then all-out comfort. Still nice and capable just not the same luxury waffty feeling.
03 Ford Galaxy 1.9 TDI 115 Ghia in Spruce Green Metallic
With cream leather interior, Full Bodykit, Remapped at 145bhp, Lowered on 18's
17 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 V6 Diesel in Slate Blue
262Bhp AWD and Factory fresh...for now!
58 Ford Transit 2.2 TDI 115 in Frozen White
With retrofitted everything except another slidey door! :)
LAUNCH X431 Pad PRO - Scanning & Coding for all makes and models done in Wiltshire in exchange for winegums! :)

I have driven over many countryside/forest roads in Poland in my Mondeo, which is a very similar vehicle.  Maybe with less ground clearance.  There is nothing I have travelled that I would not happily take my present Galaxy along.  Mine is 2014.  I would recommend something like Michelin Crossclimate tyres for this semi-offroad travelling.

Quote from: mike wilson on May 24, 2021, 11:20:07 AM
I have driven over many countryside/forest roads in Poland in my Mondeo, which is a very similar vehicle.  Maybe with less ground clearance.  There is nothing I have travelled that I would not happily take my present Galaxy along.  Mine is 2014.  I would recommend something like Michelin Crossclimate tyres for this semi-offroad travelling.

Thanks!