Welcome to BigCarClub!

Not logged in!

Hey there, welcome to BigCarClub!
You don't need to be logged in to view the forum but the experience will be so much better if you are! Users can login or if you don't have an account already, you can create one for free by clicking the Register link in the top right corner of this page.

Advert:

Slightly off topic - Ford Zetec engines RKF VS EYDE

Started by brianh, February 12, 2021, 03:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi all

Slightly off topic post but not sure of where else to ask for this, Does anyone know what the difference between the Mondeo 1.8 Zetec engine (RKF) vs the Focus 1.8 Zetec engine (EYDE in this case) actually is?

Is it just manifolds etc that are different or is it more than that?

The real question that underpins this - I have a working RKF engine and a Focus with a poorly (high mileage and worn out) EYDE engine, Is it likely to be possible to transpant the engine across without major issues or is this likely to cause some unexpected problems?

I also have the ECU and key from the Mondeo if that would be necessary to get it to work, though I don't know if the mondeo ecu would actally work in the focus (I'd suspect not?)

Canââ,¬â,,¢t imagine the basic block/head is much different if similar sort of age. I do know a taxi company owner who runs mondeos that had a wet belt fail, so he swapped engine for one out of a write off focus but that had lower chain not belt.
Wonder if thatââ,¬â,,¢s the difference 1 belt,1 chain?

They are both (dry) belt driven that much I do know. And in fact the same belt kit matches both reg numbers, both the same production year. I'm not sure if the engine code includes the manifolds as those do look different, the Focus has the cat much closer to the manifold than the mondeo did. I think the intake manifold is different as well, though maybe not in a significent way.

What info I can find suggests that there isn't a common shared engine code between the two models, Mondeo had the RKF code or another one, and the focus had a series of EYDA onwards.....

I know from vauxhall days the engine code was for the complete unit. For example 14nz was 8 valve 1.4 with single point injection. 14se same block/head was 1.4 8 valve multipoint injection. So stands to reason the engine code with Ford is for the whole lot.
What year are the engines? I always thought the 1.8tdci had a standard belt and either a wet belt or timing chain aswell?

Year 2000, they are 1.8 Petrol units though not Diesel. I should have made that clearer!

Cheers for the above, that might make it slightly more possible than I'd hoped!

Sorry my mistake I just assumed diesels, I should have realised with the zetec part as diesels are duratorque or something along those lines

February 16, 2021, 07:03:02 PM #6 Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 07:06:02 PM by insanitybeard
If it's a belt driven Zetec petrol engine in a Mondeo I'm assuming it must be from a '96 shape Mondeo and not the 2000 shape which had the chain driven Duratec HE engines fitted? If both engines have got the black plastic cam cover fitted (I don't think that the Focus ever carried the earlier Zetec unit that was fitted with the aluminium cam cover- at least in the 1.8 and 2.0 litre versions, the 1.4 and 1.6 were different) then the basic engines must be very similar, like you say with maybe different plumbing and ancillaries to suit the different engine bay layouts.
Always learning..... Often by mistakes!

Quote from: insanitybeard on February 16, 2021, 07:03:02 PM
If it's a belt driven Zetec petrol engine in a Mondeo I'm assuming it must be from a '96 shape Mondeo and not the 2000 shape which had the chain driven Duratec HE engines fitted? If both engines have got the black plastic cam cover fitted (I don't think that the Focus ever carried the earlier Zetec unit that was fitted with the aluminium cam cover- at least in the 1.8 and 2.0 litre versions, the 1.4 and 1.6 were different) then the basic engines must be very similar, like you say with maybe different plumbing and ancillaries to suit the different engine bay layouts.

Your questions match up with what I've got - both blacktop Zetec (Belt driven) and not a duratec unit. Plumbing shouldn't be a major issue, steering pump I think is different but I've got a couple of options there as long as bits will come undone. Biggest issue I can see being the A/C compressor. It will struggle on for a bit yet, but useful to know its probabbly worth keeping hold of the spare engine just in case.

Thanks to both of you.