Welcome to BigCarClub!

Not logged in!

Hey there, welcome to BigCarClub!
You don't need to be logged in to view the forum but the experience will be so much better if you are! Users can login or if you don't have an account already, you can create one for free by clicking the Register link in the top right corner of this page.

Advert:

fuel pump

Started by wazevan, January 03, 2021, 01:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Good start to new year. Went to start my car, won't turn over. Checked battery all good. Noticed there was no fuel going into the fuel filter. I've looked at fuse and any lose earth's and split pipes nothing. Mate put his code reader on, nothing. Trying to find out if pump in tank bit confusing on line if there is one.
The only sign I had was once last week it took a couple  of turns to start car, thought it was weather. I did put redex in last week, but I've been doing that for yrs. Mate suggested, putting more feul in it could move something. Car is mk3 2.0 tdi 08. Any suggestions pleas.

Won't turn over or turns over but fails to start?

Sorry turns over, but won't start

Hi Wazevan, how are u? Hope u have been having a nice Xmas despite lockdown and so on? Always nice to hear from u.

Now about this car not starting. How peculiar that there is no fuel in the filter.

If you turn the ignition on, can u hear the fuel pump running or trying to prime it?

What happens if u turn the ignition on and off a few times without turning the starter motor over, does the filter fill up with diesel? Rumour has it turning the ignition on and off a dozen times should be enough to fill an empty filter with fuel, some people do that instead of filling it up by hand when they change it I am told.

And to check the obvious, there is plenty of diesel in the tank yes?

Could the little o-ring in the fuel filter be an issue?

Could u prime the filter by pouring some diesel into it, to see if that gets things going? How about changing the filter?

Sorry if these are all basic questions but I am sure the much more knowledgeable people here will offer some more sophisticated ideas
I drive a Seat Alhambra 1.9Tdi which has 115bhp and an automatic gearbox.

I am happy to help you with all your questions. I am not a qualified mechanic but seem to be better at fixing my car than even the most experienced garages.

I have lots of friends here and very much enjoy talking with you all. Always remember, a motor car is a serious tool and should be treated with respect. Put your safety first, always.

no sound from fuel pump. Can only find 1fuse related to pump that's OK. Tank has fuel in. Just took off fuel pipe to fuel filter and sucked fuel through ukkkk. But no difference. Tring to find out where fuel pump is, on my last galaxy it was under rear seats (mk2) not sure about this one.O I wish I still had my mk 2.

Can anybody point me in the right direction on which relay switch is for pump. Cannot find diagram, found one for fuses but not relays. Thanks

January 03, 2021, 09:02:21 PM #6 Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 09:06:03 PM by SirDavidAlhambra
Not sure, I couldnââ,¬â,,¢t find a diagram either just that Russian site with the fuses, but might it be printed on the lid of the relay box perhaps my friend. The relays are usually little grey or black square boxes about an inch square and sometimes u can even just switch them about to see if it makes a difference but do take great care and donââ,¬â,,¢t short anything out or take any chances with safety because we know what u are like our very much respected fuel line mouth syphoning friend!!! Hehe! Very old school no fuss approach but do look after ur health!!! Meanwhile I will keep looking for diagrams

I am happy to help you with all your questions. I am not a qualified mechanic but seem to be better at fixing my car than even the most experienced garages.

I have lots of friends here and very much enjoy talking with you all. Always remember, a motor car is a serious tool and should be treated with respect. Put your safety first, always.

Under bonnet fuse/relay box think fuel pump relay is no42

Have found diagram of fuses and relays, they were on the inside of the lid. lol. thanks.
Not much help though as they Start with R.numbered 1 to 15.Checked them all but still cannot work out which relay is  pump. Its a mk3
. I've been advised thats its not the pump in engine bay but one in tank as this pushs the fuel to filter. When I started it took pipe off and nothing came through. Just to top it off my battery nearly dead and its not by my house.

If thereââ,¬â,,¢s no fuel at filter then it will be tank pump related,the HP pump just increases the pressure but it does need the electric one to bring fuel up from the tank.
Not familiar with the mark 3 but I would assume pump is still accessible without dropping tank through an access panel in the floor somewhere? If you can access and measure voltage you can at least narrow down to failed pump or an issue with power supply. Have you plugged any diagnostics in to see if that throws up any clues?

Thanks, tried diagnostic, only low fuel pressure came up nothing else related. The only access is dropping tank no hatch like the good old mk2.. Can't see any other way to test pump in tank.The hp pump is that the tank pump.
Must admit after this I'm selling, had mk2. I've had more probs withe mk3 in 18mo this than I had in 5 yrs with my mk2. The only plus on car is folding seats.

Tank pump is low pressure and feeds the high pressure pump, usually driven from the camshaft (gearbox end).
2016 Vauxhall Insignia Elite Nav in White 2.0CDTI Manual.
2023 VW Transporter T6.1 SE In Silver 2.9TDI 150PS. 7 Speed DSG Wheelchair accessible day vehicle.

With VCDS lite (full version) need a code clearing or want to scan for faults in the north kent area, PM me. All for a pint of Strongbow.

I have exactly the same problem.  I called the RAC out and after about an hour he deduced that it was the 'in tank' fuel pump as there wasn't any fuel coming through.  We both checked fuses which were OK although I don't know if there is a pump relay.  However, the Haynes suggests not! 

Does any one know where the pump is located from inside the car rather than dropping the full fuel tank?

The MK3 needs the tank dropped, there's no access panel like the early Galaxys.
2016 Vauxhall Insignia Elite Nav in White 2.0CDTI Manual.
2023 VW Transporter T6.1 SE In Silver 2.9TDI 150PS. 7 Speed DSG Wheelchair accessible day vehicle.

With VCDS lite (full version) need a code clearing or want to scan for faults in the north kent area, PM me. All for a pint of Strongbow.

Thanks for the confirmation.  It's a shame on the designer to leave out an access panel as there is ample space where the Ford car jack is located.

Looks like my garage will have to drop the tank, although I had only just filled up!

Cheers

That panel probably costs about a quid per car in extra time and screws, if they can save that per car then it squeezes the profits that little bit more - it's the American way :(
03 Ford Galaxy 1.9 TDI 115 Ghia in Spruce Green Metallic
With cream leather interior, Full Bodykit, Remapped at 145bhp, Lowered on 18's
17 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 V6 Diesel in Slate Blue
262Bhp AWD and Factory fresh...for now!
58 Ford Transit 2.2 TDI 115 in Frozen White
With retrofitted everything except another slidey door! :)
LAUNCH X431 Pad PRO - Scanning & Coding for all makes and models done in Wiltshire in exchange for winegums! :)

I was once told by a man at Saab that the reason they used a plastic clip on the rear light cluster was because it saved 5p. It drove people like me nuts though, I would happily have paid even 10p more to have had it made out of metal. Nonetheless, multiply that by a million cars and you've saved £50,000. Now do the same for a few other bits on the car and next thing you know you're adding millions of pounds to the bottom line.