Welcome to BigCarClub!

Not logged in!

Hey there, welcome to BigCarClub!
You don't need to be logged in to view the forum but the experience will be so much better if you are! Users can login or if you don't have an account already, you can create one for free by clicking the Register link in the top right corner of this page.

Advert:

Knock from front right wheel area when changing load

Started by Peter Holloway, October 12, 2020, 01:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello everyone. My 2013 2.0TDI 4Mot started making a single knock when accelerating or decelerating, basically when the load on the wheel/drivetrain changes. A key bit of information is that it doesn't make the knocking sound when slowing down with the brakes only, not the gears... so if I'm driving along and shift the transmission into neutral and slow down with the brakes there is no knock. I can then accelerate again silently. If I take my foot off the accelerator it will knock as it changes down gears (only once) while slowing. It will then knock again once when pulling off.

Hope that all makes sense... and suggestions?

Could we be talking about some sort of bushes here?
I drive a Seat Alhambra 1.9Tdi which has 115bhp and an automatic gearbox.

I am happy to help you with all your questions. I am not a qualified mechanic but seem to be better at fixing my car than even the most experienced garages.

I have lots of friends here and very much enjoy talking with you all. Always remember, a motor car is a serious tool and should be treated with respect. Put your safety first, always.

Engine/gearbox mounts would be my first place to start.

Thanks for the replies. I had all the engine mounts replaced in January to remedy a drive shaft scraping when accelerating hard. That turned out to be caused by a bent subframe assembly caused by going up the Sani Pass in Lesotho a few months before and taking a knock on the underside of the vehicle. I have now had the subframe bolts checked and theyââ,¬â,,¢re all ok, next step is to check the engine/gearbox mounts.

I'd be inclined to start with that driveshaft, firstly make sure its still tightened up at both ends and that its a decent brand - it wouldn't be the first cheap-o shaft to start knocking after a few k's
03 Ford Galaxy 1.9 TDI 115 Ghia in Spruce Green Metallic
With cream leather interior, Full Bodykit, Remapped at 145bhp, Lowered on 18's
17 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 V6 Diesel in Slate Blue
262Bhp AWD and Factory fresh...for now!
58 Ford Transit 2.2 TDI 115 in Frozen White
With retrofitted everything except another slidey door! :)
LAUNCH X431 Pad PRO - Scanning & Coding for all makes and models done in Wiltshire in exchange for winegums! :)

Thanks Mirez, the driveshaft wasnââ,¬â,,¢t replaced. After the subframe was straightened, there was no longer interference between the subframe and the driveshaft.

Some feedback - had the car at the shop today. They took the front right suspension apart and put it back together again and let me know they couldnââ,¬â,,¢t find anything wrong, so suggested I book it in again next week. Disappointed, I went to collect the car, only to find the noise was gone... they fixed it without knowing it 😊