Welcome to BigCarClub!

Not logged in!

Hey there, welcome to BigCarClub!
You don't need to be logged in to view the forum but the experience will be so much better if you are! Users can login or if you don't have an account already, you can create one for free by clicking the Register link in the top right corner of this page.

Advert:

What's in a name?

Started by SirDavidAlhambra, June 08, 2019, 03:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What does Tiguan mean and why was it named so? Thank you.

Also is it "Tig-u-un" or "Tig-hwan"?
I drive a Seat Alhambra 1.9Tdi which has 115bhp and an automatic gearbox.

I am happy to help you with all your questions. I am not a qualified mechanic but seem to be better at fixing my car than even the most experienced garages.

I have lots of friends here and very much enjoy talking with you all. Always remember, a motor car is a serious tool and should be treated with respect. Put your safety first, always.

Its a merge of two names because VW call it the powerful off-roader.

Tiger & Iguana, pronounced "Tig-wan"

03 Ford Galaxy 1.9 TDI 115 Ghia in Spruce Green Metallic
With cream leather interior, Full Bodykit, Remapped at 145bhp, Lowered on 18's
17 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 V6 Diesel in Slate Blue
262Bhp AWD and Factory fresh...for now!
58 Ford Transit 2.2 TDI 115 in Frozen White
With retrofitted everything except another slidey door! :)
LAUNCH X431 Pad PRO - Scanning & Coding for all makes and models done in Wiltshire in exchange for winegums! :)

Thank you. I wonder why they would think an Iguana is a powerful off-road creature, however? A rhinoceros or hippopotamus is much more powerful off-road, as is an elephant.

I am happy to help you with all your questions. I am not a qualified mechanic but seem to be better at fixing my car than even the most experienced garages.

I have lots of friends here and very much enjoy talking with you all. Always remember, a motor car is a serious tool and should be treated with respect. Put your safety first, always.

The tiger is the powerful bit, the iguana is the adaptable go anywhere bit.

The VW Hippophant, got a ring to it lol

They do have some weird ideas though, Sharan means "Carrier of Kings" and the Golf was names after the Gulf Stream apparently...
LAUNCH X431 Pad PRO - Scanning & Coding for all makes and models done in Wiltshire in exchange for winegums! :)

I think "Rhino" would be a very good name for an off-roader. The Rhinoceros is a formidable creature.

They could even do a "Stampede" edition.

Already taken though, Suzuki do that little jeep look alike thing which I believe is called the Rhino

Ah, good point. I do like Hippophant. Hippos are enormous, powerful and aggressive animals. Elephants are huge and strong. I'd certainly want my off-road car to be the vehicular equivalent of a Hippo or an Elephant rather than a Tiger.