Welcome to BigCarClub!

Not logged in!

Hey there, welcome to BigCarClub!
You don't need to be logged in to view the forum but the experience will be so much better if you are! Users can login or if you don't have an account already, you can create one for free by clicking the Register link in the top right corner of this page.

Advert:

Weird and wonderful wing mirror... err wing mirror!

Started by Mirez, August 01, 2018, 05:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So I'm retrofitting the full memory package to the Tiguan at the moment and have therefore bought the memory mirrors. The passenger one arrived today and has completely baffled me as it has an additional mirror mounted to it that I can see has absolutely zero purpose!

Basically my wing mirror has its own wing mirror :) It's deffinately OEM fit but WTF is it's purpose????? Answers on a postcard!

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=3]

[attachimg=4]

[attachimg=5]
03 Ford Galaxy 1.9 TDI 115 Ghia in Spruce Green Metallic
With cream leather interior, Full Bodykit, Remapped at 145bhp, Lowered on 18's
17 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 V6 Diesel in Slate Blue
262Bhp AWD and Factory fresh...for now!
58 Ford Transit 2.2 TDI 115 in Frozen White
With retrofitted everything except another slidey door! :)
LAUNCH X431 Pad PRO - Scanning & Coding for all makes and models done in Wiltshire in exchange for winegums! :)

:D whatââ,¬â,,¢s all that about,had it been facing other way I would say itââ,¬â,,¢s to see the kerb when parking but from pictures itââ,¬â,,¢s facing to front of car so you wouldnââ,¬â,,¢t see it anyway????

Lol exactly! When I bought it I couldn't see it that clearly so just assumed like you it was for looking directly down but yeah; From the drivers seat it's aimed at the door plus you can't see it anyway (and its from a RHD) as its below the window line and when folded, its looking completely forward. Totally baffled!
LAUNCH X431 Pad PRO - Scanning & Coding for all makes and models done in Wiltshire in exchange for winegums! :)

I am sure there is a perfectly good reason thought up by some German designer, just a shame no one else has any idea why a door mirror would have its own mirror underneath!ââ,¬â,,¢

If you are sitting in that seat and open the door does it have a use then?

Hey Andy, Good thinking but still no! Its below the window line so still only looks at the door!

Is it a driver's mirror for LDH?  Still not sure what it would be used for, though......

Nope, its a passenger mirror for RHD cars. Even more bizarre is that I've now found its part number and image within the catalogue where its described as a "Auxiliary Mirror, Aspherical" so its 100% genuine but still ultimately useless!

Probably to help you see the kerb when you park
I drive a Seat Alhambra 1.9Tdi which has 115bhp and an automatic gearbox.

I am happy to help you with all your questions. I am not a qualified mechanic but seem to be better at fixing my car than even the most experienced garages.

I have lots of friends here and very much enjoy talking with you all. Always remember, a motor car is a serious tool and should be treated with respect. Put your safety first, always.

June 21, 2019, 09:24:35 PM #9 Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 09:27:59 PM by brianh
Just a guess here, but it might be that you have half the fitting for a puddle light - the other bit being mounted to the car and hits that mirror to light the ground up by reflection.

I really can't see what use it is other than that, as its in the wrong place to see anything unless you were on the ground, as I'd think it was below the line of the window, so not visible from inside the car.

But even that looking on the pictures doesn't make sense, as it looks like you already have the puddle light on the other side of it!

I think it would be good if someone called Seats and asked them because this is so curious
I drive a Seat Alhambra 1.9Tdi which has 115bhp and an automatic gearbox.

I am happy to help you with all your questions. I am not a qualified mechanic but seem to be better at fixing my car than even the most experienced garages.

I have lots of friends here and very much enjoy talking with you all. Always remember, a motor car is a serious tool and should be treated with respect. Put your safety first, always.

Well volunteered ;)

I ended up binning it as I found no use for it whatsoever and it looked weird.

The puddle light is separate and the mirror faces the other way so wouldn't reflect anything
Its too low to be seen from the drivers seat, even if you stretch up to the headline you still couldn't see it.
From the passenger seat you could see it, however it just showed the side of the car.
With the wing mirror folded it made even less sense as it was then pointing forwards and, for the sake or argument, with the mirror folded the wrong way the angle wasn't enough to see anything more then the rear quarter of the car.