Welcome to BigCarClub!

Not logged in!

Hey there, welcome to BigCarClub!
You don't need to be logged in to view the forum but the experience will be so much better if you are! Users can login or if you don't have an account already, you can create one for free by clicking the Register link in the top right corner of this page.

Advert:

How good was your 4motion vw tiguan in the recent snow or just offroad?

Started by Andreas Dimarco, March 04, 2018, 04:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My first time with a 4motion car and tbh it wasn't that good. How did others cope? Is there a driving style I should have adopted? It seemed that the car did not drive much differently to my fwd passat estate last time is was in the snow so for a 4motion 4x4 I was really disappointed. I got stuck a number of times and had to reverse or dig out but one thing I noticed was the traction light was on a lot even when I trying to gentle? Was I expecting too much?

I think a lot of it will be down to tyres. I was not impressed with mine either although if the tyres do not grip then 4 wheel drive will not be of much use.
I think i need to source a set of winter wheels for next season!
Love mine though and got another mod ready to go when i get the time :)
Just received my highline TPMS kit so that will be my next write up.

I recommend Michelin Crossclimates.  I was persuaded to try a set last time I needed rebooting and they've been on two years and coming up to 40,000 miles now.  And now they are cheaper than Primacys.   As you can imagine, at that mileage they are not in the best of condition for the weather we've had recently but I had no difficulty whatsoever getting where I needed to go.

Unlike many other people on the roads........

Was your 4motion actually working? Read the ref library post about failing pumps as you dont get any notification its not working. ESP should be off when driving in snow at low speeds, a wheel slipping will give more traction then a braked one!!

As per the others, tyres are critical! Your normal summer tyres just wont cope with snow and you could have 8 wheel drive but it still wouldn't help ;)
03 Ford Galaxy 1.9 TDI 115 Ghia in Spruce Green Metallic
With cream leather interior, Full Bodykit, Remapped at 145bhp, Lowered on 18's
17 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 V6 Diesel in Slate Blue
262Bhp AWD and Factory fresh...for now!
58 Ford Transit 2.2 TDI 115 in Frozen White
With retrofitted everything except another slidey door! :)
LAUNCH X431 Pad PRO - Scanning & Coding for all makes and models done in Wiltshire in exchange for winegums! :)

Thanks all, I now have a set of cross climates fitted (thanks @mike wilson) and the difference is insane. i had no problems in the 'mini beast' and am ready to tame this weekends weather lol.  cheers cheers cheers