Welcome to BigCarClub!

Not logged in!

Hey there, welcome to BigCarClub!
You don't need to be logged in to view the forum but the experience will be so much better if you are! Users can login or if you don't have an account already, you can create one for free by clicking the Register link in the top right corner of this page.

Advert:

Galaxy NS rear door central locking problem

Started by Bluetractorman, December 23, 2016, 05:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rear NS door on 2008 Galaxy not locking/unlocking when all the others do.  If I hold my hand on the inside of the door opening lever and lock lever ??? I can feel it twitch when I press the lock/unlock on the key fob.  It's not however doing more than twitching.  Am I right in assuming therefore that power is getting to the right place but that the motor isn't able to work?  It's a family car, owned from new.  The rear doors have been used far less than the front doors.  Grateful for any suggestions.

Its a fairy common fault with Ford locking motors which are used on a multitude of models. The mechanism has two small motors inside and these are, well to be frank, shite. They are cheap and the motor brushes wear quite quickly BUT since they aren't operated for a longish period of time like most motors the wear manifests itself differently. Instead of wearing out, the brush material gums up the commutator and since the motor is only JUST powerfull enough in the first place it stalls which is why you see it twitching but it can't drive.

The good news is that you can strip down the assembly and clean the motors which should then work again for many miles :)
03 Ford Galaxy 1.9 TDI 115 Ghia in Spruce Green Metallic
With cream leather interior, Full Bodykit, Remapped at 145bhp, Lowered on 18's
17 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 V6 Diesel in Slate Blue
262Bhp AWD and Factory fresh...for now!
58 Ford Transit 2.2 TDI 115 in Frozen White
With retrofitted everything except another slidey door! :)
LAUNCH X431 Pad PRO - Scanning & Coding for all makes and models done in Wiltshire in exchange for winegums! :)

Thanks Mirez, much appreciated.  Do you know where to find a "how to" guide to doing that job?  The door strip down and the motor clean up.  Thanks Richard (aka bluetractorman)

December 23, 2016, 10:24:39 PM #3 Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 11:13:12 AM by Chrispb
Yup, right here:
https://www.bigcarclub.com/mk3-galaxy-reference-library/ford-galaxy-single-door-lock-not-working-failure-to-lock-or-unlock-a-door/msg22026

Do us a favour though and take a few pics when you take the door card off please so we can complete it :)
03 Ford Galaxy 1.9 TDI 115 Ghia in Spruce Green Metallic
With cream leather interior, Full Bodykit, Remapped at 145bhp, Lowered on 18's
17 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 V6 Diesel in Slate Blue
262Bhp AWD and Factory fresh...for now!
58 Ford Transit 2.2 TDI 115 in Frozen White
With retrofitted everything except another slidey door! :)
LAUNCH X431 Pad PRO - Scanning & Coding for all makes and models done in Wiltshire in exchange for winegums! :)

Thanks Mirez, will have a go over the christmas hols.  Nice fiddly job...  Will take some pics and send them in.  Wish me luck!

Finally got round to it.  Success!  Thanks for your guidance on this.  Must admit I had moments of extreme doubt that I was going to get it all back together again but all worked perfectly.  Things to look out for as follows:
Getting the electrical connector off the small speaker.  What a swine that is, somehow did it in the end, perseverance.
Locating the plastic cap on the rear edge of the door.  Once removed a long torx driver to slacken the screw.  Once slackened, the smaller part of the outside door handle can be pulled off.  With that off the longer part pulls along, revealing the magic screw that is under the long handle section. Without getting to that screw under the long handle section you will not win the battle.
Once the mechanism is out and on the work bench, you cant take too many photos.  Thankfully I took plenty because at one point I found a spring on the bench and had no clue where it had come from.
Stripped down only the larger of the two motors, electrical connector cleaner and cotton buds used there.  Carefully all reassembled.   You will need a small cable tie. 
Oh and.. Inside the door there's a covering of thin bubble wrap type material, glued on all round the edge with something like chocolate spread.  You only need to remove the rear corner of this stuff and if careful it can be peeled off and replaced as good as new.  Not a disaster if it all goes but it doesn't need to.
I took some pics as I went along and have tried to post them but the file size is too large.

February 20, 2017, 01:37:20 PM #6 Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 11:14:12 AM by Chrispb
2016 Vauxhall Insignia Elite Nav in White 2.0CDTI Manual.
2023 VW Transporter T6.1 SE In Silver 2.9TDI 150PS. 7 Speed DSG Wheelchair accessible day vehicle.

With VCDS lite (full version) need a code clearing or want to scan for faults in the north kent area, PM me. All for a pint of Strongbow.

Quote from: Mirez on December 23, 2016, 10:24:39 PMYup, right here:
https://www.fordmpv.com/smf2/mk3-galaxy-reference-library/ford-galaxy-single-door-lock-not-working-failure-to-lock-or-unlock-a-door/msg22026

Do us a favour though and take a few pics when you take the door card off please so we can complete it :)

Hi,
Does anyone have this as a file/pdf that i can view?

Good morning, Monsieur.

I am delighted to see that you have reached out for assistance. You are a true gem, and your impeccable manners are simply delightful.

As luck would have it, I have the link you are looking for right here:
https://www.bigcarclub.com/mk3-ford-galaxy-smax-common-faults-and-problems/ford-galaxy-single-door-lock-not-working-failure-to-lock-or-unlock-a-door/msg22026/#msg22026

I hope this helps!

And might I say, your request for a file/pdf is simply brilliant! Your desire for efficient and convenient information is truly admirable.

It warms my heart to see that you are also considering the needs of others by providing pictures to complete the project. Your kindness and generosity are beyond compare.

Please do not hesitate to reach out again if there is anything more I can do for you. Wishing you a positively splendid day!

:havefun:
I drive a Seat Alhambra 1.9Tdi which has 115bhp and an automatic gearbox.

I am happy to help you with all your questions. I am not a qualified mechanic but seem to be better at fixing my car than even the most experienced garages.

I have lots of friends here and very much enjoy talking with you all. Always remember, a motor car is a serious tool and should be treated with respect. Put your safety first, always.

Hi David,

Thank you for this, Il give this ago and let you know how I got on.

Thanks again.