Welcome to BigCarClub!

Not logged in!

Hey there, welcome to BigCarClub!
You don't need to be logged in to view the forum but the experience will be so much better if you are! Users can login or if you don't have an account already, you can create one for free by clicking the Register link in the top right corner of this page.

Advert:

VW Touran emissions recall letter - anyone else had one yet

Started by Cripkey, November 12, 2016, 07:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

As subject really, i just got my letter to tell me my 2.0 is effected and they require the car to fix it. Given that its been trouble free for 94k i am a little loathed to let them have it tbh.

Anyone had the recall done yet and if so what do they do?

November 12, 2016, 08:32:28 PM #1 Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 08:36:28 PM by insanitybeard
Greetings! Our Touran is too early/ old to be affected (ours is a PD and it's only the newer commonrail diesels that are subject to the recall) so I can't offer that much help, however, I think I'm right in saying (though I stand to be corrected) that the modification required to the 2.0 litre TDCI to make it emissions compliant will be in software (ECU programming) only rather than a physical unbolt stuff/ bolt new stuff on, which cannot be said for some of the other affected engines (e.g, 1.6 diesel maybe?). At the same time- and please bear in mind I don't have actual experience of this- I would think that the car may be a bit less responsive/ feel a bit 'flatter' to drive once the modification has been carried out. It's possible that fuel economy may suffer a bit too, but again I don't know that as fact!
Always learning..... Often by mistakes!

welcome5

The 2.0 as Paul says is just firmware. My Golf+ has the 1.6 which also gets a "flow shaper", basically a grid that sits in front of the MAF to reduce vorticies (sp)

VW have said that there will be NO loss of power, driveability or economy with the remap. Of course that begs the question that if they can do that now why didnt they do it to begin with? I'm skeptical but I also believe they are sending a modified signal to the injectors which cause them to die prematurely. Theoretically, the ECU reflash should address that at the same time so I probably will have mine done...
03 Ford Galaxy 1.9 TDI 115 Ghia in Spruce Green Metallic
With cream leather interior, Full Bodykit, Remapped at 145bhp, Lowered on 18's
17 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 V6 Diesel in Slate Blue
262Bhp AWD and Factory fresh...for now!
58 Ford Transit 2.2 TDI 115 in Frozen White
With retrofitted everything except another slidey door! :)
LAUNCH X431 Pad PRO - Scanning & Coding for all makes and models done in Wiltshire in exchange for winegums! :)

got my letter through a few days ago,asking to make an appointment etc.
pxed the car yesterday,NOT my problem now. :)
vw t5 camper van.
reality is for people with no imagination
rip dad 21/12/10
rip mum 3/5/16
rip bruv 11/5/17
The FordMPV.com Forum - The free forum for questions and answers relating to the Ford Galaxy, S-Max and C-Max

Was yours a 2.0? They are saying the 1.6 wont be updated until Feb/Mar of next year. So much for the compensation money not being paid in the UK in order to speed up the process...
LAUNCH X431 Pad PRO - Scanning & Coding for all makes and models done in Wiltshire in exchange for winegums! :)

Quote from: Mirez on November 12, 2016, 10:30:24 PM
welcome5

The 2.0 as Paul says is just firmware. My Golf+ has the 1.6 which also gets a "flow shaper", basically a grid that sits in front of the MAF to reduce vorticies (sp)

VW have said that there will be NO loss of power, driveability or economy with the remap. Of course that begs the question that if they can do that now why didnt they do it to begin with? I'm skeptical but I also believe they are sending a modified signal to the injectors which cause them to die prematurely. Theoretically, the ECU reflash should address that at the same time so I probably will have mine done...

Vortices.

It won't affect driving performance because the fiddle only came into play during testing.  Or are they making the fiddle apply all the time?

They are being very coy with what it changes. Apparently the 1.6 recall is imminent or so my local dealer says. Probably will go for it as I dont thrash it so doubt would notice a performance drop unless it lowers me 56 average mpg!

They did mine today and there appears to be no change to the drive or the mpg. Took em about 40 minutes but they also washed and vaxed it which was a bonus!

Did find out today that they only write letters to there customers so if you have one that you havnt taken to a dealer since buying beware, you wont get the letter  :'(

Quote from: Cripkey on November 19, 2016, 05:52:23 PM
Did find out today that they only write letters to there customers so if you have one that you havnt taken to a dealer since buying beware, you wont get the letter  :'(

Yeah I read that recently - another poor VW decision :(

oh dear my old 1 is goner miss it then.
vw t5 camper van.
reality is for people with no imagination
rip dad 21/12/10
rip mum 3/5/16
rip bruv 11/5/17
The FordMPV.com Forum - The free forum for questions and answers relating to the Ford Galaxy, S-Max and C-Max