Welcome to BigCarClub!

Not logged in!

Hey there, welcome to BigCarClub!
You don't need to be logged in to view the forum but the experience will be so much better if you are! Users can login or if you don't have an account already, you can create one for free by clicking the Register link in the top right corner of this page.

Advert:

Mk3 galaxy glow plug controller, timer.

Started by Bazzer, November 18, 2015, 10:57:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi all,
Can anybody tell me where the glow plug controller, module, timer is on my 2007 ford Galaxy is its a 2.0, I have looked everywhere on the car and on the net, anyone?

Howdy!

I would expect the glow plugs to be controlled (via a relay) from the PCM (engine management ECU), I'd be surprised if there was a separate timer to control them.
Always learning..... Often by mistakes!

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, yes that makes sense, and there is a relay, but there is a part made by a company called Nagares, ford part no
9m5q-12a343-aa, that is a glow plug module, which I am hoping is at fault in my car, only 9v at the glow plugs, but 12.6v at the battery, and at the glow plug relay. I have the part but even though I have traced the glow plug cables back to the n/s/f where there is some sort of electronic box, but I cannot see the part that I am looking for.

Buzzer can I ask  why you think there's a problem with yours.
Generalising here but not all glow plug systems are 12 volt
2016 Vauxhall Insignia Elite Nav in White 2.0CDTI Manual.
2023 VW Transporter T6.1 SE In Silver 2.9TDI 150PS. 7 Speed DSG Wheelchair accessible day vehicle.

With VCDS lite (full version) need a code clearing or want to scan for faults in the north kent area, PM me. All for a pint of Strongbow.

Ok, the problem that I am having is difficult starting, turns over fast enough, but will not catch, checked battery voltage, seems ok, glow plugs are getting power but its a bit low 9v, if I turn the ignition on and off every 10 seconds for a few times first, I can see the voltage rise to 10.5v then it usually starts.
Also, have a parasitic drain somewhere, brand new 80amp battery only lasts a few days, have not looked into this yet, did have it before though and it turned out to be the alarm sounder under the n/s/f wing, which I  replaced, and all was well for a few weeks and now this problem.

In the days of indirect injection engines they relied heavily on glow plugs to start the engine without a load of cranking.
Nowadays direct injection prevails so glow plugs have little effect until the weather is 0 degs or lower, however they do still operate for a few minutes after engine has started to help reduce emissions.
Has the cam belt been changed recently or other work done that may have involved resetting timing.
2016 Vauxhall Insignia Elite Nav in White 2.0CDTI Manual.
2023 VW Transporter T6.1 SE In Silver 2.9TDI 150PS. 7 Speed DSG Wheelchair accessible day vehicle.

With VCDS lite (full version) need a code clearing or want to scan for faults in the north kent area, PM me. All for a pint of Strongbow.

Hi,
    No, the timing has not been altered and has been running fine previously, runs fine after it starts.

So, no one knows where the glow plug module goes?

Where did you get the part number you quoted in a previous post from for this item/ unit? Without knowing what the item you're referring to looks like it's very difficult to be of any further help.
Always learning..... Often by mistakes!

Quote from: Chrispb on November 18, 2015, 11:31:47 PMIn the days of indirect injection engines they relied heavily on glow plugs to start the engine without a load of cranking.
Nowadays direct injection prevails so glow plugs have little effect until the weather is 0 degs or lower, however they do still operate for a few minutes after engine has started to help reduce emissions.
Has the cam belt been changed recently or other work done that may have involved resetting timing.

Hello! I have same problem with morning starts after timing belt replacement. Do you have any idea what could be wrong? My mechanic told me he done everything properly and there is no link between timing belt and problematic starts but before this I do not have this problem.

If it's happened since timing belt change that would make me think to double check anthony that could have been disturbed and also timing is ok if nothing else obvious