Welcome to BigCarClub!

Not logged in!

Hey there, welcome to BigCarClub!
You don't need to be logged in to view the forum but the experience will be so much better if you are! Users can login or if you don't have an account already, you can create one for free by clicking the Register link in the top right corner of this page.

Advert:

(thinking of buying) Bought a Touran

Started by insanitybeard, June 12, 2015, 04:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

June 12, 2015, 04:12:36 PM Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 06:32:04 PM by insanitybeard
Hello all, I'm thinking of getting an older (e.g, 2004/05) Touran for my partner as she needs something with a bit more space than she's got at the mo, does anybody know if VCDS can be used (and with the same lead for that matter) as it would be with the Mk2 Galaxy for diagnostic purposes?

cheers
Always learning..... Often by mistakes!

Yes and Yes ;)

Nice cars actually, had an 07 one as a hire car for a couple of months when the then focus was rear ended.
03 Ford Galaxy 1.9 TDI 115 Ghia in Spruce Green Metallic
With cream leather interior, Full Bodykit, Remapped at 145bhp, Lowered on 18's
17 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 V6 Diesel in Slate Blue
262Bhp AWD and Factory fresh...for now!
58 Ford Transit 2.2 TDI 115 in Frozen White
With retrofitted everything except another slidey door! :)
LAUNCH X431 Pad PRO - Scanning & Coding for all makes and models done in Wiltshire in exchange for winegums! :)

before you rush in bud,do look at the smax.same sort of size but the smax doesnt feel like an mpv.
vw t5 camper van.
reality is for people with no imagination
rip dad 21/12/10
rip mum 3/5/16
rip bruv 11/5/17
The FordMPV.com Forum - The free forum for questions and answers relating to the Ford Galaxy, S-Max and C-Max

Thanks Mark, I'm torn between getting another Mk2 Galaxy as I've still got contacts at Ford for technical info/ cheaper parts etc but the Touran is a bit more compact and with the VW reputation for decent build (plus the fact that the missuses parents own a fairly new one) I'm seriously considering that as an alternative- I'd much rather own a VW than one made by a French or Italian marque, no offence intended!

Greg- thanks as well, only trouble with the S-Max (and Mk3 Galaxy for that matter) is that they only came out in '06 didn't they? I think they're still a tad out of my price range unless I go for a high miler.

yeah think 56 reg m8,nowt wrong with a high miler,like any car its a gamble.
i bought mine with 100k on the clock.
vw t5 camper van.
rip dad 21/12/10
rip mum 3/5/16
rip bruv 11/5/17
The FordMPV.com Forum - The free forum for questions and answers relating to the Ford Galaxy, S-Max and C-Max

Well it's done, sought out a '55 plate Touran with 100k on the clock (105hp 1.9 TDI- I'd read something about the 2 litre PD's with Siemens injectors were less reliable than the 1.9's with Bosch injectors fitted), ended up buying one privately as one came up that was far superior to any of the ones we'd seen in dealers anywhere near the price! Only issues are some rust around the rear number plate lamps which is surprising on a car as well looked after as this one (and a VW at that) and a couple of knocking CV joints.....

[attachimg=1]

Very nice, I'll expect much more info being posted in the Touran section now ;)

LAUNCH X431 Pad PRO - Scanning & Coding for all makes and models done in Wiltshire in exchange for winegums! :)

Heh, it'll be a bit more of a learning curve with this one as they're not vehicles I've worked on before! Plus there isn't a Haynes manual for 'em (as yet anyway!). I wonder if these are any good!?

They are selling (illegally) VW's own system. Much like TIS, that's ElsaWin

have fun in your new motor vehicle :D.
vw t5 camper van.
rip dad 21/12/10
rip mum 3/5/16
rip bruv 11/5/17

Quote from: Mirez on August 05, 2015, 08:32:04 PM
They are selling (illegally) VW's own system.

Ah. So an illegal knockoff then, I'm better giving that a miss I suppose.

Thanks Greg, it's not me that's going to be driving it really, I bought it for the missus because her Ford Fusion (the Fusion reactor as it's jokingly named) is a) a bit tired now and b) she needs something with a bit more space! I'm sure it'll be me that fixes it though  ::)

That's the same place that does the one for the S-MAX/MK3 Galaxy, it's a bit of a nightmare to navigate and not that informative but better than nothing at all, there's no electrical wiring diagrams in it either.
2016 Vauxhall Insignia Elite Nav in White 2.0CDTI Manual.
2023 VW Transporter T6.1 SE In Silver 2.9TDI 150PS. 7 Speed DSG Wheelchair accessible day vehicle.

With VCDS lite (full version) need a code clearing or want to scan for faults in the north kent area, PM me. All for a pint of Strongbow.

Yeah it's knocked off, that isn't so much the issue (well for me anyway lol) so much that they are charging for it. You can download it as a torrent from most sites, which intimately is probably where they got their version from.

i wasnt goner mention anything about torrents.

but you did you naughty boy mark. LOL
vw t5 camper van.
rip dad 21/12/10
rip mum 3/5/16
rip bruv 11/5/17

August 07, 2015, 06:48:48 PM #14 Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 06:54:20 PM by insanitybeard
Well I've just ordered up the first lot of bits aimed at getting it towards tip-top condition, to be fair it has been well looked after by the previous owners but there's a few things to take care of. For all of VW's reputation for build quality it surprises me that they chose (on the Touran at least, though the Galaxy plastic window switch surround/ grab handles suffer exactly the same) to finish the plastic items such as the internal door grab handles and the exterior door handles (mine aren't painted) in a finish which rubs off and isn't as durable- for items which get 'handled' (boom-boom) a lot- as it should be. The headlamp switch also seems to suffer the same (that's not something I've seen on the Galaxy!) fate, as well as the radio switches etc... Anyway, that's a minor-ish gripe, it doesn't affect the functionality at all, and compared to some of the Tourans we saw, this one is pretty good!

So the first things to sort:

1) Tailgate rams are creaking and leaking  :D , easily sorted.
2) It's missing the tyre compressor & bottle of sealing gunk.
3) The warning triangle flap cover trim (on the tailgate) retaining clips are broken- most of the Tourans we saw   
     seemed to be suffering from this.
4) The front CV joints are clacking when turning & under power, the outer boots aren't particularly secure on
     the driveshafts so I think water has found it's way in and killed them. Hopefully the inners are ok!

Ok, well the 'knocking CV joints' are unfortunately a little more serious than that........ In the process of changing the nearside joint I've discovered it's been in poor shape and neglected for a while and the water ingress has caused wear and damage to the splines on the driveshaft (where the CV joint cage engages on the shaft) as well as the CV joint assembly. I'd only bought the CV joint kits thinking that would be it but oh no, at least in the case of the nearside, I need a complete new shaft.  [CRY].

Pics to follow...... I also had to saw through one of the balljoint mounting bolts to get it off as the nut was solid and the captive head broke free and was just spinning, my grips couldn't hold it steady so the saw was the only remaining option. Aaaaaaaaagggghhhh!  >:(

One remanufactured GKN Lobro nearside driveshaft later (plus a new balljoint) and the bugger is sorted, no more clacking under power with the steering on lock (which at least means the offside outer CV joint must be in better condition than the nearside one was, despite some grease leakage and a boot 'clip' that is infact a cable tie- hopefully that side can be sorted with just a new CV joint- anther time.......)

I'm glad I didn't leave it much longer before doing that job, the splines looked like they weren't far off of letting go (Galaxy intermediate driveshaft style).

Anyway, writeup to follow (in about 6 months  ::) )

September 25, 2015, 05:58:52 PM #17 Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 06:03:08 PM by insanitybeard
Old and new components- bit of a difference! No wonder it was clacking.

Not much left of that wire circlip either, no wonder the joint fell off the shaft when I took it out of the hub! No point in sticking a nice new CV joint on those driveshaft splines  ::)

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]