Welcome to BigCarClub!

Not logged in!

Hey there, welcome to BigCarClub!
You don't need to be logged in to view the forum but the experience will be so much better if you are! Users can login or if you don't have an account already, you can create one for free by clicking the Register link in the top right corner of this page.

Advert:

Mystery clicking noise

Started by mikewilson, November 14, 2023, 08:29:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

It's a mystery because I'm currently 200 miles away from the Galaxy and my wife reports a noise like a loud indicator coming from the passenger side.  Not had a response yet to my query if it is in time with wheels or engine.  I'm inclined to think it might be a relay failing, as there is a big box full of magic on that side. 

Any other thoughts?

Could it be a stone stuck in the tread of a tyre?

:grouphugg:
I drive a Seat Alhambra 1.9Tdi which has 115bhp and an automatic gearbox.

I am happy to help you with all your questions. I am not a qualified mechanic but seem to be better at fixing my car than even the most experienced garages.

I have lots of friends here and very much enjoy talking with you all. Always remember, a motor car is a serious tool and should be treated with respect. Put your safety first, always.

Looks like it was the relay operating the washers, as they are not working.  Now to work out which one that is.  Driver's handbook might as well be a be a book of nursery rhymes for all the good it is.

You aren't going to believe this....

https://youtu.be/eYGlM1gYzuc?si=xOqMij7Ji4jb6AZd

Better get those washer pumps and BCMs checked, folks.

Apparently not uncommon in French cars as well  - possibly because the link between Ford and Citroen/Peugeot meant they were buying washer pumps from the same source?

And if you have a BMW, it's apparently not uncommon for a failed oil pressure sender to do the same thing with engine oil.

OMG, trouble nowadays is everything is built to the cheapest possible standard hence you end up with a poor design that can do that.

Your BCM looks pretty knackered unfortunately - mad when you think a £1K part has been killed by a £3 washer pump :(
03 Ford Galaxy 1.9 TDI 115 Ghia in Spruce Green Metallic
With cream leather interior, Full Bodykit, Remapped at 145bhp, Lowered on 18's
17 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 V6 Diesel in Slate Blue
262Bhp AWD and Factory fresh...for now!
58 Ford Transit 2.2 TDI 115 in Frozen White
With retrofitted everything except another slidey door! :)
LAUNCH X431 Pad PRO - Scanning & Coding for all makes and models done in Wiltshire in exchange for winegums! :)

Quote from: mikewilson on December 05, 2023, 05:50:54 AMApparently not uncommon in French cars as well  - possibly because the link between Ford and Citroen/Peugeot meant they were buying washer pumps from the same source?

And if you have a BMW, it's apparently not uncommon for a failed oil pressure sender to do the same thing with engine oil.
On bmw diesels it's the low pressure fuel sensor that fails causing fuel to wick up the loom and in to the ECU

I found a secondhand BCM on Ebay.  Needs to be identical part number except for the final letter.  That needs to be the same or later.  Mine was offered for £200; accepted £150 without a flicker, so I obviously offered too much.  Another £180 to get it coded to the vehicle locally.  The local did all the removal/refit work as well.  Washers still occasionally glitch, so I will be checking this week that there is not continued leakage.  Think I also need to make sure that the lead has been cut and rejoined with unsealed connectors, somewhere sheltered.

Will also be looking to get another of the green sockets and trying to repair the original BCM.

Finally found time to open the BCM.  Fiddly but not difficult.  Good news - the only physical damage is what's visible in the photo above.  The board looks pristine, which I know does not necessarily mean anything.  Not really any bad news yet but....

I need to try to find a new socket/receptacle to replace the dead one.  There is writing underneath, which I can't read, so I'm reluctant to spend ages carefully unsoldering it only to find they are unobtainium.  Anyone know the make?

Most of the chips inside have had their numbers carefully obliterated...

The plugs are helpfully marked LEAR.  Lear corporation is a major producer of automobile connectivity products but the socket does not figure on their web page.

https://catalog.lear.com/product-categories/connectors

Unless it's one of the one listed as "Restricted product"....

And it turns out that there is a LEAR factory just down the road....

Will call in and see if I can blag (or even pay for, much as it goes against the grain) a new socket.  If I can repair this, I can see a nice little business to set up.