Welcome to BigCarClub!

Not logged in!

Hey there, welcome to BigCarClub!
You don't need to be logged in to view the forum but the experience will be so much better if you are! Users can login or if you don't have an account already, you can create one for free by clicking the Register link in the top right corner of this page.

Advert:

Clutch wear

Started by Becky Roberts, December 30, 2022, 09:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Can anyone tell me what causes a clutch to wear like this? It's only covered 50,000 miles and it's not ridden and does mainly motorway miles.

20221230_140128.jpg

Heat, you can tell by the blue colour of the metal. If it's not ridden then has it been slipping?

December 31, 2022, 08:46:54 AM #2 Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 08:49:47 AM by SirDavidAlhambra
Yes, I would say either:
- A sparrow flew into the engine bay and got caught up in the clutch
- An 18 year old son has been driving it like a Formula 1 car when mum's not looking
- Grandma has been holding the engine at 7,000 rpm while reversing into parking bays at Tesco at 0.25mph
- There's a problem with the clutch release mechanism (for instance the clutch release bearing), causing it to slip and get hot even when the pedal is fully depressed or alternatively, when the car is being driven (loss of clamping pressure). I think this is the most likely explanation. The solution would be to get them to change the lot, making sure they use quality components rather than cheap ones.

I am however not a clutch expert so others who have more experience of the workings of a motor car will no doubt be able to draw on their practical experience and give better advice!

Thank You
I drive a Seat Alhambra 1.9Tdi which has 115bhp and an automatic gearbox.

I am happy to help you with all your questions. I am not a qualified mechanic but seem to be better at fixing my car than even the most experienced garages.

I have lots of friends here and very much enjoy talking with you all. Always remember, a motor car is a serious tool and should be treated with respect. Put your safety first, always.

I'd be checking that its the right clutch and slave cylinder thats been fitted if you still have the old bits, as said above looks like its got hot from slipping for some reason. Doesn't look like its down to contamination as no signs of any leakage onto it either?

That's from a Touran? Looks incredibly small in diameter for 2.0 TDI?
03 Ford Galaxy 1.9 TDI 115 Ghia in Spruce Green Metallic
With cream leather interior, Full Bodykit, Remapped at 145bhp, Lowered on 18's
17 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 V6 Diesel in Slate Blue
262Bhp AWD and Factory fresh...for now!
58 Ford Transit 2.2 TDI 115 in Frozen White
With retrofitted everything except another slidey door! :)
LAUNCH X431 Pad PRO - Scanning & Coding for all makes and models done in Wiltshire in exchange for winegums! :)