Welcome to BigCarClub!

Not logged in!

Hey there, welcome to BigCarClub!
You don't need to be logged in to view the forum but the experience will be so much better if you are! Users can login or if you don't have an account already, you can create one for free by clicking the Register link in the top right corner of this page.

Advert:

Turbo vanes touching casing

Started by TobyTransit, December 18, 2022, 10:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have a noise when the vans on boost, it's more of a chuffing sound then anything else which I think might be injectors leaking. It's been doing it for 30k miles but has just started to feel down on power so I thought I should investigate. Yo start, I thought I'd test the turbo  so took the intake pipe off.
There is no in/out play and just a little side to side but I think the vanes may have contacted the case.

From what you can see in these awkward to take photos, is a little scuffing normal? Is this something to be concerned about?

20221218_113617.jpg
20221218_113446.jpg
20221218_113429.jpg
20221218_113616.jpg

Good evening!

The blades are designed to run tight clearances. Do they actually touch, ie make a scraping noise when turned? Can you feel it touching?

Is there any play in the shaft?

Ooh err missus.

:shocked:
I drive a Seat Alhambra 1.9Tdi which has 115bhp and an automatic gearbox.

I am happy to help you with all your questions. I am not a qualified mechanic but seem to be better at fixing my car than even the most experienced garages.

I have lots of friends here and very much enjoy talking with you all. Always remember, a motor car is a serious tool and should be treated with respect. Put your safety first, always.

Looking at leading edge of the blades there is some marking which is from dirty air. There will be some slight play side to side as it's a floating bearing and once oiled under pressure will be reduced.
If there's play to cause casing contact you will be able to move it in to the casing by hand.