Welcome to BigCarClub!

Not logged in!

Hey there, welcome to BigCarClub!
You don't need to be logged in to view the forum but the experience will be so much better if you are! Users can login or if you don't have an account already, you can create one for free by clicking the Register link in the top right corner of this page.

Advert:

Tyre insurance

Started by SirDavidAlhambra, August 17, 2022, 10:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi Everyone!

You'll never guess what, I had 2 new CrossClimate 2 XL tyres fitted to my Alhamb last week and one of them already has a non-repairable puncture in the tyre 'shoulder' which meant it had to be scrapped and replaced with a new one!!!

I didn't even get 50 miles out of that dam tyre before a screw went through it!!

I seem to get about 2 punctures a year on average (the Highways Agency should hang their heads in shame and do their jobs better) so I Was wondering about tyre insurance.

Does anybody have any thoughts or ideas about tyre insurance please?

I saw one on the Honest John website but it needed my car to be less than 7 years old, as if that affects the tyres!!!

Many thanks!  :cool:
I drive a Seat Alhambra 1.9Tdi which has 115bhp and an automatic gearbox.

I am happy to help you with all your questions. I am not a qualified mechanic but seem to be better at fixing my car than even the most experienced garages.

I have lots of friends here and very much enjoy talking with you all. Always remember, a motor car is a serious tool and should be treated with respect. Put your safety first, always.

I am struggling with the idea of trying to insure something which is effectively a consumable, but it is amazing what deals turn up when you google 'tyre insurance'. You need to do some serious sums, to try and work out how much you are going to spend on insurance premiums over a period of time and compare the result with the expense of simply replacing/repairing tyres yourself.

I am not going to tempt fate by revealing when I last did a road-side wheel/tyre change, which is a very long time ago, but I picked up a square head coach screw smack in the centre of a 195/60R16C about ten years ago, and even that did not cause deflation, only a very loud noise as the wheel revolved, over the half mile back home. I changed the wheel on my driveway, and my local indie did a very successful plug repair.

On balance, I think I would save the premiums and keep the money in a notional tyre kitty, ready for the next repair.