Welcome to BigCarClub!

Not logged in!

Hey there, welcome to BigCarClub!
You don't need to be logged in to view the forum but the experience will be so much better if you are! Users can login or if you don't have an account already, you can create one for free by clicking the Register link in the top right corner of this page.

Advert:

The UKs obsession with new cars

Started by Mirez, May 10, 2022, 09:43:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Having just returned from two weeks in Spain, it's made me wonder what the UK's obsession is with new cars? It's fairly rare to see a Mk2 Galaxy anymore and getting there with the Sharan/Alhambra as well yet there are still plenty about on Spanish roads, along with older models from pretty much every manufacturer. It's been an eye-opener tbh.

Considering the mileages are likely to be higher it made me think why we, as a country, keep on wanting newer cars? If we consider 'older' cars to be from MY2000 onwards, there isn't really much difference in refinement between an older car and a newer one. There isn't the massive technology improvements we saw between say a 1980s car and a 2000 one and if anything reliability of cars from 2000/2010 period was actually better. It's only really the environmental aspect of the engines that has 'improved' (I use that in the loosest sense as I don't think it's improved, rather then been masked) and arguably the environment suffers far more from manufacturing a new vehicle then it does over the mileage lifecycle.

Just an interesting point really, we spend all this money 'upgrading' our cars for what?
03 Ford Galaxy 1.9 TDI 115 Ghia in Spruce Green Metallic
With cream leather interior, Full Bodykit, Remapped at 145bhp, Lowered on 18's
17 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 V6 Diesel in Slate Blue
262Bhp AWD and Factory fresh...for now!
58 Ford Transit 2.2 TDI 115 in Frozen White
With retrofitted everything except another slidey door! :)
LAUNCH X431 Pad PRO - Scanning & Coding for all makes and models done in Wiltshire in exchange for winegums! :)

I suspect it's something to do with lots of cars being leased on finance rather than purchased outright and the manufacturer's basically 'forcing' upgrades on people constantly.

Plus some people think that new cars are more reliable which isn't necessarily the case.

Like you, I think older cars are simply just the best value for money. The difference in quality between a 10 year old car and a brand new one is negligible, they're all excellent.

Plus I always find it strange when you see people driving around in a £40,000 car like they're simon cowbell on their way to the oscars while living in a small little house.

You just can't beat the Mk2 Alhamb. It has everything a motorist could ever want!
I drive a Seat Alhambra 1.9Tdi which has 115bhp and an automatic gearbox.

I am happy to help you with all your questions. I am not a qualified mechanic but seem to be better at fixing my car than even the most experienced garages.

I have lots of friends here and very much enjoy talking with you all. Always remember, a motor car is a serious tool and should be treated with respect. Put your safety first, always.

I don't think Spain has so much of an issue with rot due to the warmer climate?

I do agree there is too much chasing the new shiny things here though.

I have a 2005 Ford Focus and it already has rust developing :(

I am happy to help you with all your questions. I am not a qualified mechanic but seem to be better at fixing my car than even the most experienced garages.

I have lots of friends here and very much enjoy talking with you all. Always remember, a motor car is a serious tool and should be treated with respect. Put your safety first, always.

Mirez is right, there are definitely different buying habits on the other side of the channel. When my wife and toured northern France a few years back, we commented on the sort of cars, Peugeot 205, Citroen ZX and the like, which we had not seen on our roads for the best part of 20 years. Also, when we last toured southern Germany, in 2019, we had to obtain an emissions sticker from Berlin in  order to ensure that we could drive into Munich. Our vehicle is Euro 4, and walking around central Munich, I was surprised at the number of other Euro 4 stickers to be seen on parked vehicles.

Whether it is a financial imperative to run an older car, or whether there is a desire to get value for money from an older model, I know not, but as Mirez observes, there is definitely a difference.

I have heard it said that German car manufacturers refer to the UK as 'Treasure island'. 

Another thing I've noticed when comparing cars with friend abroad - British vehicles have much more bells and whistles compared to those my friends own.  Or maybe that's just my friends...

Definitely corrosion is an issue, although MkII (and even MkI Galaxys) are not uncommon round here.  Maybe that's just around here.....

Quote from: mikewilson on May 26, 2022, 08:44:43 AMAnother thing I've noticed when comparing cars with friend abroad - British vehicles have much more bells and whistles compared to those my friends own.  Or maybe that's just my friends...

Definitely corrosion is an issue, although MkII (and even MkI Galaxys) are not uncommon round here.  Maybe that's just around here.....

I've seen a few MK2 around down this way - noticable that the petrol ones are still around in London as they work well for folk that need the large boot and are ULEZ compliant so avoid the £12.50 daily charge. Not so many of the diesels down there, but they are still about. MK1's not so much, but then few cars of 22+ years old of any make or model are anymore.

June 11, 2022, 09:01:22 AM #7 Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 09:08:06 AM by Mirez
Very true, the scrappage scheme saw most of those off which is a shame.

On this topic, I picked up a 2008 2.0 Highline Passat at the weekend for £1200 which was 'broken'. It needed a new sensor and its now purring like a kitten. Admittedly it's been impeccably well maintained by its two owners and with 100K on the clock it's refined, comfortable and should be reliable. It's also in near mint condition which goes to show that if you look after a car it can go and go without the need for leasing or big finance deals!

Another point is that I've updated the navigation and coded a few options in, all things that are 'component protected' under all new VW's. I do genuinely think we've been through the 'golden era' of cars where technology has moved away from user benefits and is now put on cars purely for money making and hinderance to non-dealers.
LAUNCH X431 Pad PRO - Scanning & Coding for all makes and models done in Wiltshire in exchange for winegums! :)

I hear that, in some cars, the battery is electronically encrypted and has to be programmed by a dealer in order to work with a particular motor vehicle.

And I'm not taking big expensive batteries like in electric vehicles, I mean small ordinary batteries that just power the starter motor.

Not encrypted as such you can replace battery and it will work. The reason you have to register/code is all down to charging characteristics with smart charging systems. Doesn't have to be done at a dealer my foxwell scanner does it

Ah, that sounds far better!

You guys know everything!!

I know that this thread is getting a bit old, but I thought perhaps other forum users might be interested in a recent report compiled by a consumer website called 'The Car Expert' which tells us that consumer borrowing for vehicle purchase has increased by 253% in the period 2009 - 2022. So easy credit which may not be so readily available over the channel is an important dimension of the UK's buying habits. Details from 'This is Money' website.

November 09, 2022, 03:13:59 PM #12 Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 03:19:19 PM by SirDavidAlhambra
Yes, I think a lot of people just look at the monthly repayments rather than the overall cost. They get bamboozled by the complicated mathematics they get shown when they are sat at the salesman's desk, and are reluctant to admit that they don't understand it. Remember, most people are actually quite bad with numbers (think to when you were at school - today's adults are those same people), and when you introduce the ego of being the 'big man' in the car showroom (often in front of a significant other and wanting to be 'macho' in front of the salesman), they act like they understand it all when they don't. Up-front deposits, dealer deposit contribution, balloon payment, initial payment, monthly instalments, flat rates, terms and conditions and all that other nonsense that's designed to confuse. So, they focus just on "how much per month" and end up getting absolutely fleeced.

I once went visited a car dealer and asked them how much a particular vehicle (a Galaxy) would cost. They just couldn't answer my question! Instead, all I got back were questions like "how much can you afford per month" and "we'll need to see your current vehicle" and "what equity do you have in your current lease agreement" - even after I said I don't want finance, I just want a price and to pay for it if we reach an agreement.

That said, I am the sort of person who would very rarely spend more than a few thousand on a car. I like older vehicles, I believe they have character and often represent better value for money. Especially the Mk2 Alhambs, you just can't beat them tbh. Comfort, style, practicality and reliability - all at an affordable price. Very easy to service too. What more could the discerning motorist want.

The modern generation just rents / leases everything and end up getting shafted in the process. They see it as a way of having whatever they want without having the uncomfortable truth that they can't really afford it! I have some younger friends with a combined salary I'd estimate to be 50kish yet have a mortgage of £1200, both a C-Class Merc and Ford Kuga on finance plus £40 phone contracts each for the latest phones.
I'd hate to think what their fixed out-goings are but if was under 2k I'd be very surprised so once their mortgage rate ends next year, they are likely to have some massive financial issues to overcome.
Sadly though that's the norm for that generation, when I was a lad  :tongue: , we all had sub £500 bangers that were just about road legal as first motors and cost bugger all to run. Nowadays every new driver seams to have a leased car with chunky monthly payments and a balloon payment at the end - then they complain they can't afford a house deposit.

David's point of new vs old is also interesting, I've been used to new company cars for the past 20 years and have some crackers in that time but my current fleet consists of a 19 year old Galaxy, 14 year old Passat and  13 year old Transit with a combined mileage of 350K miles yet I'm super happy driving all three. I did a round trip to Cardiff today, the  Passat just 'did it's thing' doing everything I need it to do and my car allowance pays the full value of the thing every two months.

Bit of a waffle post but yeah, there you go  :cool:  :cool: