Welcome to BigCarClub!

Not logged in!

Hey there, welcome to BigCarClub!
You don't need to be logged in to view the forum but the experience will be so much better if you are! Users can login or if you don't have an account already, you can create one for free by clicking the Register link in the top right corner of this page.

Advert:

Tips for dealing with garages

Started by SirDavidAlhambra, April 29, 2022, 08:11:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Always take photos of your engine bay and the bits you want repaired, and make markings on them so you can check if they actually did the job properly. Also ask for the old parts back but be wary in case they give you any old junk they have lying around.

Any other tips please?
I drive a Seat Alhambra 1.9Tdi which has 115bhp and an automatic gearbox.

I am happy to help you with all your questions. I am not a qualified mechanic but seem to be better at fixing my car than even the most experienced garages.

I have lots of friends here and very much enjoy talking with you all. Always remember, a motor car is a serious tool and should be treated with respect. Put your safety first, always.

Leave a Haynes manual in the passenger footwell so they know you're not likely to be easily conned

I am happy to help you with all your questions. I am not a qualified mechanic but seem to be better at fixing my car than even the most experienced garages.

I have lots of friends here and very much enjoy talking with you all. Always remember, a motor car is a serious tool and should be treated with respect. Put your safety first, always.

Always re-do your tyre pressure after having a new tyre fitted, they never pump them up to the right pressure

Assume that most of what they list in the car's service schedule won't be done. You probably just end up with an oil change and a cursory check over brakes and tyres regardless of the "level" of service you go in for. If you're lucky they might do the air filter and maybe even the fuel filter too. But don't expect any more than that.

If buying a new car, all those complicated financial calculations are there to confuse and intimidate you. Bottom line is, they're trying to fleece you. Just ask the price, and if they can't tell you that, walk away. Second hand cars are better value for money anyway: just save up and buy a car outright.