Welcome to BigCarClub!

Not logged in!

Hey there, welcome to BigCarClub!
You don't need to be logged in to view the forum but the experience will be so much better if you are! Users can login or if you don't have an account already, you can create one for free by clicking the Register link in the top right corner of this page.

Advert:

Mk3 galaxy 2009 brake info please.

Started by Ben g mon, January 16, 2022, 12:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi all, been a while.

Could anyone please pass on some details ref torque settings for brake callipers and carriers  front and rear?

I've got discs and pads to change front and rear, competent enough to do it just never replaced them on these.

Is there any brands to avoid / recommend?

As mine is 2009 with a manual handbrake I'm guessing a regular wind back tool is needed to do the rear callipers

It's a 2.0 tdci  ghia  if it makes any difference.

Be great if you can help, thanks.

I recommend Brembo discs and pads.  Also strongly recommend you buy coated (painted) discs, which have a paint like coating on the centre, which prevents them rusting so badly that they swell and lock on to the hubs.

I now completely dismantle the whole caliper, carrier and disc every time I look at the brakes.  It's worth the little bit of extra effort to keep them clean rather than going through the rigmarole of removing (or smashing off) stuck discs.  I also find that pulling the disc and then lightly replacing the caliper makes winding them back much easier.

Yeah Brembo are the best and they don't cost much more either

I often get complimented on my brembo brakes

I say I like to be able to stop when going down a steep hill with the car full and a roof box and a trailer
I drive a Seat Alhambra 1.9Tdi which has 115bhp and an automatic gearbox.

I am happy to help you with all your questions. I am not a qualified mechanic but seem to be better at fixing my car than even the most experienced garages.

I have lots of friends here and very much enjoy talking with you all. Always remember, a motor car is a serious tool and should be treated with respect. Put your safety first, always.