Welcome to BigCarClub!

Not logged in!

Hey there, welcome to BigCarClub!
You don't need to be logged in to view the forum but the experience will be so much better if you are! Users can login or if you don't have an account already, you can create one for free by clicking the Register link in the top right corner of this page.

Advert:

Are locking wheel nuts worth it

Started by Grant2012, January 30, 2022, 08:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

As per the title. After 3 hours drilling out a shattered bolt today, I can't help but wonder how good they are? When alloys were a grand+ I see the point but now every car has them as standard do they really do anything to stop theft, is theft of wheels still a thing and finally, since you can buy universal kits online, do they just cause more hassle to the owner to anyone else!
Toot-Toot! Beep-Beep!

I've not had locking nuts on any of my last four cars for exactly this reason, they just cause me the owner more hassle then anything else. Wheels are insured after all :)
03 Ford Galaxy 1.9 TDI 115 Ghia in Spruce Green Metallic
With cream leather interior, Full Bodykit, Remapped at 145bhp, Lowered on 18's
17 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 V6 Diesel in Slate Blue
262Bhp AWD and Factory fresh...for now!
58 Ford Transit 2.2 TDI 115 in Frozen White
With retrofitted everything except another slidey door! :)
LAUNCH X431 Pad PRO - Scanning & Coding for all makes and models done in Wiltshire in exchange for winegums! :)

Yeah, nobody nicks alloy wheels or car stereos any more
I drive a Seat Alhambra 1.9Tdi which has 115bhp and an automatic gearbox.

I am happy to help you with all your questions. I am not a qualified mechanic but seem to be better at fixing my car than even the most experienced garages.

I have lots of friends here and very much enjoy talking with you all. Always remember, a motor car is a serious tool and should be treated with respect. Put your safety first, always.

Quote from: SirDavidAlhambra on January 31, 2022, 09:20:27 PM
Yeah, nobody nicks alloy wheels or car stereos any more

Really? Extreme example maybe, but there you go.
https://youtu.be/yV_aslxjSq4?t=174

That said, if anyone wants the wheels badly enough they will come equipped to remove the locking wheel nuts.

On the car stereo front, a lot of newer vehicles it isn't that simple to swap the stereo anyway, so much more difficult to remove it quickly, and some will only suit the vehicle they were installed into. Plus a decent stereo is much cheaper now than it was a few years ago.

Every car I have if lockers are fitted they got removed and binned as they are just a pain in the arse,standard bolts everytime. If they want the wheels that badly they will have them anyway

Alhamb and Galaxy alloy wheels do look so good though... really strong and safe looking
I drive a Seat Alhambra 1.9Tdi which has 115bhp and an automatic gearbox.

I am happy to help you with all your questions. I am not a qualified mechanic but seem to be better at fixing my car than even the most experienced garages.

I have lots of friends here and very much enjoy talking with you all. Always remember, a motor car is a serious tool and should be treated with respect. Put your safety first, always.

There is still plenty of theft out there and yes, whilst radios are coded and locked there are still plenty of ways around that. It's also not exactly a 'mastermind' that robs stuff, I doubt they care if they make a tenner or a hundred - it's all free for them :(

For me the risk is worth it, I calculate they are more likely to go AWOL over night and that's fairly unlikely in a decent hotel car park. Just have to avoid the skanky areas :D
LAUNCH X431 Pad PRO - Scanning & Coding for all makes and models done in Wiltshire in exchange for winegums! :)

I can remember doing some training a few years ago in Luton, A few of the people doing the training stayed in a Travelodge down there. One of them got a smashed window thanks to leaving a couple of quids worth of change on show.

Nah the problem wasn't loose change, it was using a Travellodge!! :P :P

The thing is that's an 'easy' crime isn't it, smash-grab-run and you've got money. Harder to lift all four corners and remove wheels, transport them and then sell them before you get money. Definitely not saying it doesn't or wouldn't happen I just don't think it's as prevalent as it once was. The other point is that it's expected for all alloys to have locking nuts, if you are out looking for cars without them it's probably safe to say they'll take them with or without.

Travelodge would be half the problem, Luton also wouldn't help though! ;D

Not as prevelent sure, though it could be like the catalyic convertor thefts, which tend to spike depending on the value of the metal in them. Also would depend on the wheels/car involved.

Incidentlally, just taken the lockers off the Disco as the locking key has started to split down one side of it, before I get stuck with a key that won't turn them.

I've still got the factory locking bolts on the Galaxy but I was always dubious about trying to put 170nm of torque through the key which isn't that substantial! So whilst the standard bolts get torqued to 170nm, I only do the lockers to 130!
Always learning..... Often by mistakes!