Welcome to BigCarClub!

Not logged in!

Hey there, welcome to BigCarClub!
You don't need to be logged in to view the forum but the experience will be so much better if you are! Users can login or if you don't have an account already, you can create one for free by clicking the Register link in the top right corner of this page.

Advert:

Transit mk7 door mirror removal

Started by TobyTransit, December 22, 2021, 07:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clattered the passenger mirror today and have broken the pivot point so need to replace it. There are 3 caps which I removed and found a bolt behind one but the other two are weird security bolts I think? Anyone know what tool I need to remove them?

Bugger!

You've got it right that they are held on with 3 bolts, the lower left is an 8mm but the other two are shear bolts and the head is designed to snap off when its factory tightened. Its part of the anti-theft design to stop thieves removing the mirror and getting access to the door wiring harness although ironically the rest is 'protected' by a ford Tibbe lock so it's sort of pointless!

They aren't bolted in with much force so you can remove them easily enough. If the old mirror is scrap then just snap the plastic off and chisel them off. If the mirror is to be kept, I've had good success drilling a 4mm hole into the 'washer' part of the bolt held, driving a flat-head screwdriver into that hole and then just unscrewing the bolt.
03 Ford Galaxy 1.9 TDI 115 Ghia in Spruce Green Metallic
With cream leather interior, Full Bodykit, Remapped at 145bhp, Lowered on 18's
17 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 V6 Diesel in Slate Blue
262Bhp AWD and Factory fresh...for now!
58 Ford Transit 2.2 TDI 115 in Frozen White
With retrofitted everything except another slidey door! :)
LAUNCH X431 Pad PRO - Scanning & Coding for all makes and models done in Wiltshire in exchange for winegums! :)