Welcome to BigCarClub!

Not logged in!

Hey there, welcome to BigCarClub!
You don't need to be logged in to view the forum but the experience will be so much better if you are! Users can login or if you don't have an account already, you can create one for free by clicking the Register link in the top right corner of this page.

Advert:

Boost leak - which pipes

Started by IA76, September 11, 2021, 11:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi All

My 2.0 TDCI Mk3 Galaxy has developed what I think is a boost leak. Symptoms are

A release of air when lifting off from WOT in higher gears (sounds a bit like a bov)
Power 'surges' at WOT especially in higher gears
A bit more turbo sound than usual at WOT in higher gears

Aside from the plastic pipe whith ridges in coming from the top of the engine which other pipes do I need to check?

Good morning Madam, and sorry to hear about the problems u are having with ur Mk3 Galaxy. Ordinarily they are very reliable cars although u can?t beat the 1.9 PD engine tbh, I just don?t know why Fords changed a winning formula.

Anyways, the thing to look for if u suspect u have a boost leak is black smoke coming out the exhaust. If u have black smoke, then the engine is running rich and a likely cause of that is lack of air for the quantity of fuel dispensed to the engine - in other words, a leak of metered air.

The plastic pipe with ridges is low pressure intake air. The ones u need to check are thick rubber hoses but make sure they?re not the coolant ones. Check especially the ones at the front of the engine bay going into and out of the intercooler.

Can u tighten up the jubilee clips and also have u checked the Intercooler? Sometimes those inter coolers do leak after a stone whacks them. Occasionally u can spot the air leak by looking for oil around the hoses.

Also have u tried a diagnostic program to see if ur motor car is producing any error codes which might help u get to the bottom of this conundrum.

Thank u and we hope u get your motor car back to tip top condition again very soon and certainly before the winter.

I drive a Seat Alhambra 1.9Tdi which has 115bhp and an automatic gearbox.

I am happy to help you with all your questions. I am not a qualified mechanic but seem to be better at fixing my car than even the most experienced garages.

I have lots of friends here and very much enjoy talking with you all. Always remember, a motor car is a serious tool and should be treated with respect. Put your safety first, always.

Ford didn?t change a winning formula as such they produced their own MPV rather than use VAG with VAG diesels,also the PD had no chance of meeting the changing emissions regulations so that?s why it was phased out.

OP

In answer to your question get someone to hold the revs around 2k rpm and have a feel/Listen for escaping air around the boost pipework there could also be oily residue around pipes if there is a leak. If it?s similar to smax  set up (which it probably is) the pipes up from intercooler are a mix of plastic with rubber sections at joints.

Thank u? does this mean the Fords never did use the 1.9 PD engine? It is such an excellent engine! I?ve never been much of a fan of Ford engines really although they are a very big company and very popular
I drive a Seat Alhambra 1.9Tdi which has 115bhp and an automatic gearbox.

I am happy to help you with all your questions. I am not a qualified mechanic but seem to be better at fixing my car than even the most experienced garages.

I have lots of friends here and very much enjoy talking with you all. Always remember, a motor car is a serious tool and should be treated with respect. Put your safety first, always.

Only in the vag built galaxy until they produced their own galaxy models.

Quote from: johnnyroper on September 12, 2021, 12:33:38 PM
Ford didn?t change a winning formula as such they produced their own MPV rather than use VAG with VAG diesels,also the PD had no chance of meeting the changing emissions regulations so that?s why it was phased out.

OP

In answer to your question get someone to hold the revs around 2k rpm and have a feel/Listen for escaping air around the boost pipework there could also be oily residue around pipes if there is a leak. If it?s similar to smax  set up (which it probably is) the pipes up from intercooler are a mix of plastic with rubber sections at joints.

That picture is handy. Will try what you suggested once it stops raining!