Welcome to BigCarClub!

Not logged in!

Hey there, welcome to BigCarClub!
You don't need to be logged in to view the forum but the experience will be so much better if you are! Users can login or if you don't have an account already, you can create one for free by clicking the Register link in the top right corner of this page.

Advert:

re map

Started by gregers, July 17, 2017, 08:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thinking about having a remap done,and so far my research has concluded that with the t5 the best way forward is to have it done by 'pendle' lots of good reviews from various t5 forums.
but recently reading a thread on here about remapping,and mirez doesnt recommend a rolling road as they can potentially be clutch killers?
now in my research they recommend a rolling road so as to measure all the blocks etc prior to fitting the remap so as to ascertain how much the components can safely handle,then they will advise on what upgrade they reckon will be best.
i have a few months before i really decide as my warranty runs out in october.
any input plz ta muchly.
vw t5 camper van.
reality is for people with no imagination
rip dad 21/12/10
rip mum 3/5/16
rip bruv 11/5/17
The FordMPV.com Forum - The free forum for questions and answers relating to the Ford Galaxy, S-Max and C-Max

Back in my Subaru days I had it mapped after mods by a well respected mapper in the scooby community.
His advise was to have it mapped during real life conditions and not on a dyno/rolling road he didn't specifically say clutch killer but you get a better outcome in the real world conditions.That was a bespoke map rather than a generic model specific one though. I remember spending hours with him sat there in passenger seat with laptop and his det cans on just driving at all different speeds,revs and driving conditions to get it spot on. Due to the mods it wouldn't run at all initially so he put a base one on then we drive round so he could assess what all the sensors etc were doing prior to making adjustments.
It wasn't cheap but the results were impressive car ran lovely and returned better mpg than standard even running the max safe bhp/torque the standard clutch/trans could handle.

Spend the money on an individual map, rather than something like a Revo or Smoke map.
It'll be tailored to your vehicle and needs, and not a basic standard that everyone gets.

And (I'm assuming the T5 is diesel?), you'd be much better off going to a VAG mapper.
Travel for the right company, too.
There's a great one in Manchester and another in Barnsley.

cheers peeps for your feedback so far.
vw t5 camper van.
rip dad 21/12/10
rip mum 3/5/16
rip bruv 11/5/17
The FordMPV.com Forum - The free forum for questions and answers relating to the Ford Galaxy, S-Max and C-Max

Truth be known, itââ,¬â,,¢s better just to get a car with a Bigger engine to start with.

Iââ,¬â,,¢m always a bit wary of remaps, people say theyââ,¬â,,¢re ok but I canââ,¬â,,¢t help but feel it will wear the engine out faster
I drive a Seat Alhambra 1.9Tdi which has 115bhp and an automatic gearbox.

I am happy to help you with all your questions. I am not a qualified mechanic but seem to be better at fixing my car than even the most experienced garages.

I have lots of friends here and very much enjoy talking with you all. Always remember, a motor car is a serious tool and should be treated with respect. Put your safety first, always.

July 06, 2019, 11:53:48 PM #5 Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 12:02:09 AM by johnnyroper
Not at all even a bigger engine comes with a generic map that goes on all of them. Also manufacturers wouldnââ,¬â,,¢t offer their own performance maps if it wasnââ,¬â,,¢t suitable or wore engine out faster they still have to honour warranty. Take the bmw performance pack on a 335 it increases power and torque,and currently driving one it is a noticeable change. Acceleration is phenomenal with a nicer exhaust note yet retains standard mpg.
A proper bespoke map is tailored to your specific car and to your needs,a proper mapper will tailor to what you require and what your car can safely handle.
My scooby mapped genuinely returned better mpg than standard map yet power was increased substantially

yeah i will be going for a tailored remap for my van,consensus seems to be either revo or pendle.
vw t5 camper van.
rip dad 21/12/10
rip mum 3/5/16
rip bruv 11/5/17

Do they rev the car up loads when they do the remap? I get anxious when mechanics rev my car up

Also would the gearbox wear out faster because of all the power (auto gearbox)

Thank you

I am happy to help you with all your questions. I am not a qualified mechanic but seem to be better at fixing my car than even the most experienced garages.

I have lots of friends here and very much enjoy talking with you all. Always remember, a motor car is a serious tool and should be treated with respect. Put your safety first, always.

No, most remaps are generic for the specific model. Ie, they are produced for ONE car with that engine and then copied to other cars with the same engine so the only one that ever goes through the full remap process (with rolling road etc) is the first ever car. That said why are you nervous? Its still operating well within its limits when revved.

Gearboxes are typically designed to handle much more torque (power won't cause any issue) then standard anyway, normally its the same box fitted to the range for example the 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 all share the same box and clutch just with different gear ratios.

I've had all of mine remapped, the Galaxy was done 80K miles / 11 years ago now (wow where has that time gone) and still on original engine, gearbox and injectors.
03 Ford Galaxy 1.9 TDI 115 Ghia in Spruce Green Metallic
With cream leather interior, Full Bodykit, Remapped at 145bhp, Lowered on 18's
17 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 V6 Diesel in Slate Blue
262Bhp AWD and Factory fresh...for now!
58 Ford Transit 2.2 TDI 115 in Frozen White
With retrofitted everything except another slidey door! :)
LAUNCH X431 Pad PRO - Scanning & Coding for all makes and models done in Wiltshire in exchange for winegums! :)

When my Subaru was done with bespoke map we started gentle driving while mapper tweaked stuff while listening with his det cans on. Once he was happy we did some spirited full throttle runs in 3rd again he was tweaking stuff and listening for detonation.
I donââ,¬â,,¢t see an issue with revving an engine up personally they are designed to be able to take it and it actually does them good. Obviously not holding it on the limiter for extensive periods.

Perfect example is to look at the newer Transit;
They come in the following engine powers of 100hp, 125hp & 155hp.
They all use the same engine & associated components, but theyââ,¬â,,¢ll all remap to 180hp+ with the right work.

Canââ,¬â,,¢t say your wary of remaps if you buy one of these either, much like the ââ,¬Ëœperformance packsââ,¬â,,¢ with BMW and some of the ââ,¬ËœAudi Performance+ââ,¬â,,¢, a little tinkering is all it takes.

It sounds like a remap could be a very good thing. My car is a 2006 Alhamb with auto gearbox and 115bhp. I really like the car and donââ,¬â,,¢t want to break it but it sounds like a remap is very safe? Are there any tell-tell signs to look out for to know if the remapping person is good at it or do they just plug up a laptop and load some software so no knowledge needed really. Would my car benefit from being remapped? Also does the gearbox know when to change gear at the right time if the engine is more powerful? Thank you

wait until mot time and see how much the rev the nuts of tdi cars,thats why they ask how old the timing belt it lol.

still waiting to get the van done,will do it eventually.and i will make sure mine goes on a rolling road,rather then a generic 1 for my van,that way they can check themselves if anything is fubared or worn.

vw t5 camper van.
rip dad 21/12/10
rip mum 3/5/16
rip bruv 11/5/17